mtbr member

Shimano M430 crankset won't come off ....any tips??

Im trying to get the Shimano M430 crankset off my bike...I've been using a crank puller but it just pulls the threads right out of the crankset. It won't pull off the crank. Any ideas? Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks.

mtbr member

Re: Shimano M430 crankset won't come off ....any tips??

Did you take the bolt out???

In all seriousness, just off the top of my head without seeing it, did you tighten the threaded section of the pulled all the way in? Bolt does have to be completely removed as well.

If all that is good almost sounds like someone put locktite on the crank ARM/bb thinking they were fixing a problem. Issue is if you've pulled all the threads out of the crank arm your in a bit of trouble and will need to go to bikeshop and hopefully they have a claw puller and it doesn't gouge the crank arm to hell.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply. Ive taken the bolts out that hold the cranks on but still cant get the cranks off....idk im probably doing something wrong. Per the pic I have screwed in the crank puller but when I turn the crank puller it just pulled out of the cranks instead of pushing off the crank arm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shimano M430 crankset won't come off ....any tips??-img_20130724_214812.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Try doing that on the drive side

mtbr member
    I tried on the drive side but with the same result. I will try again

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Someone here, God knows when, said to ride the bike without the bolt installed, or loose anyway. Just might work fer ya.
    lean forward

mtbr member
    You are probably using the wrong tip on that puller. The tip should be very small (about a dime size) to engage just the square taper spindle. If you are using the bigger ISIS tip you are pushing of the inner arm itself and pulling threads. and yes...... Just go ride the bike up and down the street. The cranks will eventually come off. It will destroy your spindle though, so you will need a new BB.

mtbr member
    Good point on the tip. I will look at it closer. I have another BB so maybe I will just ride it around. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I think ghettocop is correct and you have the wrong puller. If you ride without the bolts long enough the cranks will eventually fall off but they will be ruined, the bb spindle is very hard metal and will probably be still be fine. Since the threads are gone on the crankarms your options are pretty limited, either bash them off with a wedge puller, ride them off, or put the bolts back on and just ride.

Plays with tools
    You're not going to get another crack at getting those cranks off with that tool. You've ruined them. You have two options, put the bolts back in and ride the bike until the BB is worn out. Or get the cranks off and replace them. Efficient Velo Tools makes a puller for removing cranks like yours that have been stripped out. Might see if one of your local shops has one, it's a lot easier than getting a pickle fork or crank puller to work.

mtbr member

Re: Shimano M430 crankset won't come off ....any tips??

Yeap agree with all other posts. Looks like wrong puller type, end is too big so ur done getting them off that way. Puller ends need to be small enough to go past the crank ARM and push on the bb spindle.

A lot of perfect suggestions to get them to come loose so you can take them off and that's ur options now.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    You guys were right....wrong puller. It ended up pulling out the treads. I was able to get them off though. Used a dremel and then vice to pull em' off. Mounted x7 crankset. Thanks for the help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shimano M430 crankset won't come off ....any tips??-img_20130728_103155.jpg  

Shimano M430 crankset won't come off ....any tips??-img_20130728_114349.jpg