mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Shimano LX572 or Hussefelt

So I've worn my stock 02 GF Wahoo down to the bone and its time to replace some items. BB's shot and chainrings are worn (crappy sunrace crank with non-removable chainrings).

The bikes obviously not that fancy, so I don't want to invest a lot, but I can't afford a new bike right now. I was thinking of refitting with either a Hussefelt-Gigapipe DHLT combo or a Shimano LX-572 w/ ES51BB. Price is the same.

Or, are both of this overkill for the setup. I don't care about having the lightest, fanciest bike in town, but I do want something durable for my money.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    My suggestion would be anything Shimano, Deore, LX, or XT quality level will be fine, in either a square taper or Octalink BB.

The Truvativ DH crank is overkill.
    There is no added value to my participation - in fact, just more confusion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abibibo
    So I've worn my stock 02 GF Wahoo down to the bone and its time to replace some items. BB's shot and chainrings are worn (crappy sunrace crank with non-removable chainrings).

The bikes obviously not that fancy, so I don't want to invest a lot, but I can't afford a new bike right now. I was thinking of refitting with either a Hussefelt-Gigapipe DHLT combo or a Shimano LX-572 w/ ES51BB. Price is the same.

Or, are both of this overkill for the setup. I don't care about having the lightest, fanciest bike in town, but I do want something durable for my money.

Thanks!
    I agree w/ gearhead- go with deore or LX (both are best bang for the buck) and at least a new chain. You may find that you'll need to replace the rear cassette, if it's skipping around a lot with other new parts.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

I can't weld
    Are you 200# plus and ride rocky trails or do the occasional drop? if so, go hussefelt. Can't beat the price at JensonUSA. Crank & BB for $82. I've been very happy with mine.

If not, go LX.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I'm not sure if I made things quite clear. The shimano crank/ BB combo would be the same price as the Trvativ combo (both $89, LX at nashbar, Trutaviv @ jenson). So my question is if the shimano is really better, or just when reviewed as an entry level crank. In the forums I see poorer reviews of the truvativ relative to the shimano. But then I factor in that the trutaviv is meant to be a slightly higher end crank and people who review it are expecting such and I end up not knowing which way to go.

My riding style is not extreme enough that Id expect to actually strain a part to sudden failure, but I do take some rocky, muddy and sandy trails which gradually wear on the parts.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    The LX M572 crank is much better than the Truvativ DH crank and better suited for the bike you want to put it on. The Octalink BB's Shimano uses last a long time, the ISIS BB's Truvativ use don't last very good. The Shimano chainrings will shift better and the LX crank will be much lighter.

The LX is "overkill" only relative to what came on the bike but due to the clear out price you would be hard pressed to even buy a cheaper crank for as cheap as you can pick up the LX. Buy the LX and you will be happy.

I just went through the same thing with the GF's road bike. I ended up putting an Ultegra Octalink Triple BB crank (XT equal) on a bike with Tiagra (Deore equal) parts since I got the crank for 75% off making it cheaper than any of the new Tiagra cranks.
    There is no added value to my participation - in fact, just more confusion.