mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Shimano LX slm 580 shifter/ SRAM 9.0 Der. ?

Is this a compatability problem? I just hate gripshifters and want to switch to triggers... and want to know is this set-up going to work..?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Shimano shifters are not compatible with sram rear der. They have different pull ratios. You have to stick with sram shifters unless you want to change the der. too. All the sram shifters that have a number in their name will work.

Front derailleurs have the same ratio, so there is no compatibility problem.

Former Bike Wrench
    Use a SRAM 9speed trigger shifter (X-5, X-7, X-9, X.O.)...they will all work, a Shimano shifter will NOT work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by earlpizumi
    Is this a compatability problem? I just hate gripshifters and want to switch to triggers... and want to know is this set-up going to work..?

If you read through all this according to this post from Down Under it does work.

Has anyone here actually tried it?
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi
    If you read through all this according to this post from Down Under it does work.

Has anyone here actually tried it?
    Ummm...yeah and it don't work. At least not correctly. There is no way that a shifter with a 1:1 ratio can accurately shift a derailleur that requires a 2:1 ratio, or vise versa, properly. While indexing points are the same, it's the amount of cable that is pulled or released to get the derailleur to that point that makes the difference. It also has to do with the way the rear derailleur is designed, positioning of the pivots, cable routing, length of the various sections of the parallelogram, etc. When you mix shimano and sram shifters and derailleurs you end up with missed cogs at some point, either one end or the other of the cassette or in the middle somewhere. Or if you do get em to hit each cog the shifting is slow and mushy, not the positive click/pop of a good solid shift. I've been wrenching my own bikes for 10 years and wrenching professionally for the past 5. I've never been able to get any combination of SRAM X series and Shimano (shifters and derailleurs) to play well together in the rear. Now SRAM does make 2:1 shifters that do work with Shimano rear derailleurs and they work well. But a 1:1 X series shifter just doesn't work. If they're actually doing it "down under", and getting it to work right, then they need to publish something and tell the world how it's done. Otherwise I'm tossing the BS flag on this one.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Down Under thread

The OP of this down under thread is completely insane and immature. Don't waste your time reading because is bs.

Rub it............
    I just read that thread as well and all the OP is saying is that it works. No explanation of how its working.

I've never been able to get a Shimano shifter to actuate a Sram X series rear derailleur as well. Or vice versa, unless it was a Shimano compatible Sram shifter like the TRX.

The 1:1 vs 2:1 ratio is not 100% true, but the actual distance the cable is pulled per shift is different between Shimano and Sram.

I've been working on bikes for around 13 years, and have been the lead mechanic at the LBS I work at for 3, going on 4.

mtbr member
    When I dug this thread up I wasn't tring to start an argument. In the link I gave the OP is quite insistent that it works. I don't believe it was/is a troll post.

Everybody says it doesn't work but it seems not many have actually tried it.
    I thought I would post here because there is a lot of experince on this forum. I asked if anybody had actually tried it.

I don't think it works but have never actually tried it.
    When experienced shop mechanics say it doesn't work I believe them.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi
    When I dug this thread up I wasn't tring to start an argument. In the link I gave the OP is quite insistent that it works. I don't believe it was/is a troll post.

Everybody says it doesn't work but it seems not many have actually tried it.
    I thought I would post here because there is a lot of experince on this forum. I asked if anybody had actually tried it.

I don't think it works but have never actually tried it.
    When experienced shop mechanics say it doesn't work I believe them.
    Hi folks,
    Yesterday I installed an slx m662 (9V) sgs in place of '09 X9 (9V). The result: in six shifts, the chain was in the biggest cog. Each shift in X9 shifter = almost 2 cogs rise. I think it's not necessary to test the reverse combination (shimano shifter/sram rd): after 8 shifts probably the chain will be in 6/7 cog.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikebr
    Hi folks,
    Yesterday I installed an slx m662 (9V) sgs in place of '09 X9 (9V). The result: in six shifts, the chain was in the biggest cog. Each shift in X9 shifter = almost 2 cogs rise. I think it's not necessary to test the reverse combination (shimano shifter/sram rd): after 8 shifts probably the chain will be in 6/7 cog.
    Thanks for that. Good to get feedback from someone who has actually tried it.