ob3
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Shimano LX M572 cranks and BB clarification needed

I have a M572 LX crankset I'd like to use for a cheap upgrade project. I do not yet have a matching BB for it, and am trying to figure out the right type.

I remember that Shimano modified the spline depth to make them incompatible with ES70/71 BB. Generally I think the recommendation is to use ES51 in 121 or 126mm spindle length, but then there's a K model vs a non-K model. How do I know whether I need a ES51 K BB?

I have a bike with ES71 and M571, and I've been able to compare the spline depth on the right side spider - M572 is indeed deeper. However, the left crankarm appears to have the same spline depth as the M571. This leads me to believe the BB spindle needs to be longer on the drive side... Note on the M572 crankarm, where they stamp the model name, the model name is FC-M572. Somewhere around the model name (not the same line) there is a faint "K" stamped in.

Searched and googled for a bit. If I look at Shimano's tech doc (http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830611899.pdf
    ), there's no indication of different types of crankarms (aside from different lengths).
    However, in some previous posts there was some mention of the spline depth and BB.
    118mm ES70 bb w/ M572 cranks for ss use?
    Help-Shimano crankset FC-M751 vs. FC-M752

The first link has a pic of an ES51, which helps. Does anyone have a pic of an actual ES51 K BB?

Former Bike Wrench
    I'm not sure what the "K" is...but I do know that the M572 crankset requires either a 121mm spindle (47.5mm chainline) or 126mm spindle (50mm chainline). I've always used the standard ES-51 on those with no issues.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I had that set from a prior bike (selling set for $45).

The ES-51 (121mm) was a perfect match.
    Attached Images Attached Images