a.k.a. MTBMaven

Shimano Hone vs RF Evolve DH

I just got my 575 frame in today!!!! I originally wanted to go with the Hone crankset but bonkey couldn't get the 175 version, so I went with his recommendation of the RF Evolve DH crank. Obviously a great crankset. However they are about half a pound heavier than the Hones and I'm just not sure I need the extra beefyness of the RF. I weigh 210 with gear and don't jump that much and when I do it's that heigh. Right now 3 feet max, though I like to start getting more aggressive with this new bike. It really seems like it can handel it. I basically am a trail rider on rocky, technical, SoCal trails (think Angeles for those who know the area).

So, what would you recommend, the stronger, heavier Evolve DH or the lighter, cheaper Hone?

Thanks for the advice.

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    No thoughts on this one?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnfiend
    I just got my 575 frame in today!!!! I originally wanted to go with the Hone crankset but bonkey couldn't get the 175 version, so I went with his recommendation of the RF Evolve DH crank. Obviously a great crankset. However they are about half a pound heavier than the Hones and I'm just not sure I need the extra beefyness of the RF. I weigh 210 with gear and don't jump that much and when I do it's that heigh. Right now 3 feet max, though I like to start getting more aggressive with this new bike. It really seems like it can handel it. I basically am a trail rider on rocky, technical, SoCal trails (think Angeles for those who know the area).
    The Hone crankset is a rebadged LX (which are $116 at Jenson). The crank arm interface on the Xtypes looks a bit more secure then the Shimanos (compression bolted rather then pinch bolted) but I don't think you're going to pull the arm off the shimanos.

I'm 220 and hard XC (a few 3" drops no jumps) in the Bay Area and haven't ever had issue with any of my cranks (currently using the 760s) so I'm not that great of a judge. I'd say go for the LX and save like $80.

mtbr member
    i'm kind of in the same boat, as far as looking for new cranks. Right now i have truvativ holzfeller. i was thinking of the Shimano XTs or the Race Face Atlas. I've read a lot of good things about the Atlas cranks. And i always hear how stiff the XTs are. But i'm only 145 lbs, not sure with riding gear. i guess these cranks are also a little more pricey.

MTBR Mafia
    i'm 140 and ride every style of riding including 11 foot drops and xc races. i can honestly say the evolve dh cranks are AWESOME!! they have done so well in every riding condition. i say keep those and the extra .5 pund or whatever will be unnoticable until you put your bike on that evil thing called a scale
    All Mountain was so 2005

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cdub
    i'm 140 and ride every style of riding including 11 foot drops and xc races. i can honestly say the evolve dh cranks are AWESOME!! they have done so well in every riding condition. i say keep those and the extra .5 pund or whatever will be unnoticable until you put your bike on that evil thing called a scale
    There's no weigh (ho ho) a 10st weakling could break an XT crank!

Chrome Toaster
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnfiend

So, what would you recommend, the stronger, heavier Evolve DH or the lighter, cheaper Hone?

Thanks for the advice.
    Get the LX. Same crank as the Hone although without the spiffy black color.

gwm
    heckler and jekyll

get the atlas

Quote Originally Posted by jr711
    i'm kind of in the same boat, as far as looking for new cranks. Right now i have truvativ holzfeller. i was thinking of the Shimano XTs or the Race Face Atlas. I've read a lot of good things about the Atlas cranks. And i always hear how stiff the XTs are. But i'm only 145 lbs, not sure with riding gear. i guess these cranks are also a little more pricey.

they are the best bro. i've tried xt's, stylo's, and almost every isis out there. the atlas x-types are the best i have ever come across, virtually mistake proof cranks

mtbr member

Atlas!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gwm
    they are the best bro. i've tried xt's, stylo's, and almost every isis out there. the atlas x-types are the best i have ever come across, virtually mistake proof cranks
    Definately go with the Atlas. Stiff, strong, light and sweet looking. Can't go wrong with 'em. I think Race Face has got Shimano soundly beaten at cranks and chainrings for all types of riding, from XC to DH.

banned
    Atlas are way overpriced.

Meh.
    It's hard to fit a bashguard to the Hone/LX cranks... You have to do a little dremeling which voids the warranty... So if you want to run a bash, Hone/LX is probably not the option. FSA V-drive extremes are pretty nice. I really want to run a set of crank with the new x-type bb, but I can't justify the cost when my Hussefelt cranks are still holding up. X-type cranks are stiffer, offer better power transfer, and have better bearing durability.

mtbr member

Sortof

Quote Originally Posted by kronik
    Atlas are way overpriced.
    I forgot how expensive they are at retail. I can get stuff at wholesale, and Race Face wholesale is a lot cheaper than retail, much more so than other brands, especially Shimano. If you can afford it, the Atlas is a spectacular crank.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    It's hard to fit a bashguard to the Hone/LX cranks... You have to do a little dremeling which voids the warranty... So if you want to run a bash, Hone/LX is probably not the option. FSA V-drive extremes are pretty nice. I really want to run a set of crank with the new x-type bb, but I can't justify the cost when my Hussefelt cranks are still holding up. X-type cranks are stiffer, offer better power transfer, and have better bearing durability.
    I don't see a problem running a bashguard on the Hone or LX, you can just get a Bashguard made by shimano for the Saints and be fine with it.
    Anything worth doing is worth overdoing...

-Ricko, mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Get the RaceFace Evolve AM. Its beefier than the XCs but not quite the DH.

Meh.
    They have little tab things on it. The crank wasn't designed to be run with bashguards.