mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Shimano Hone RD-M600-SGS Rear Derailleur

I am looking to upgrade my current rear derailleur (Shimano Deore) and have seen the LX shifters, or these.

I particularly like the idea of the low-normal return spring as this should ease shifting (sounds like a laxative).

LX reviews talked a lot about ghost shifting if pedalling on rough tracks. I am willing to pay the extra if these are better.

- Does the low-normal spring idea help?
    - Can these be used with general shifter (Sram Attack is what I am going for) or do you need a different shifter type? Do you get the benefits of the shifter if you use normal shifters?
    - What is the advantage of attaching straight to the hub?
    - Someone mentioned in the Hone reviews that you need to buy a new hub (and maybe new rotors!). Is this true for the Hone? It's not mentioned anywhere else that I can find

Thanks for any help with this

Nick

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    new Hone is not axle mount, went to hanger mount, also no rapid rise, shadow only, stronger spring , built in bumper
    looks like a winner, I love rapid rise but ditched it in favor of shadow technology
    most sram shifters are not compatible with shimano, sram =1:1 shimano 2:1

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    new Hone is not axle mount, went to hanger mount, also no rapid rise, shadow only, stronger spring , built in bumper
    looks like a winner, I love rapid rise but ditched it in favor of shadow technology
    most sram shifters are not compatible with shimano, sram =1:1 shimano 2:1
    Thanks for the reply.

rapid-rise? shadow? Help me ob1k'nobe....

this is what I am looking at:
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/163...Derailleur.htm

Thanks for the warning, but the SRAM shifters I am buying specifically state they are shimano compatible.

Nick

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OldNick
    Thanks for the reply.

rapid-rise? shadow? Help me ob1k'nobe....

this is what I am looking at:
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/163...Derailleur.htm

Thanks for the warning, but the SRAM shifters I am buying specifically state they are shimano compatible.

Nick
    rapid rise (low normal) works the oposite of traditional shifting
    shadow is the new low profile derailliers, they tuck up tight to the frame and get rid of 1 pivot so no more smacking the chainstay
    http://www.treefortbikes.com/94_3332...erailleur.html
    for xt

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=28033
    for hone
    btw they have the deraillier you were looking at for $33

Shimano SLX group replaces LX and Hone groups

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you ready to ride SLX?

Shimano proudly introduces a completely new mountain bike group named SLX. Designed for All Mountain and tough Trail use, this groupset excels in terms of durability and high performance. The parts are tough and lightweight and, in-keeping with the recent trend of Shimano products a lot of attention has been given to the aesthetics. SLX, although targeted primarily at hardcore riders also fulfils the demands of other riding styles. Are you ready to challenge its extreme potential or do you stay with Cross Country specific components?

Shadow Rear Derailleur
    The SLX rear derailleur gets the full Shadow treatment currently seen in the XT and XTR groupsets. The main advantages are its extra thin profile (reducing chances of the rear derailleur snagging or hitting any trail objects) and shorter, more direct cable routing enabling crisp shifting and a faster response. This derailleur will be available in both medium (GS) and long (SGS) cage versions and weighs in at only 260 grams.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    OK. Still some clearing up to do. I have done some reading around, and start to see what you are saying. Thanks for the links, too.

I will check out CRC's site. I was shopping at PricePoint because thay had some tyres that I want, that are really hard to get, and at a really good price. I live in Australia, so post from the US can be a killer if I try shopping around.

If the Hone at pricepoint _does_ need a new hub as someone said (does it?), then I do _not_ want it. So that question still remains. Maybe I will just take the shadow. It certainly seems to address many problems. How easy is shadow compared to low-normal? IIRC LN is really easy because you actually have the spring doing the shift to a bigger cog.

Nick

mtbr member
    u can some times mod ur current 10mill. axle and run the old hone with out buying the hone or saint BS hub
    Gas Sucks Ride A Bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by blackprophet19
    u can some times mod ur current 10mill. axle and run the old hone with out buying the hone or saint BS hub
    OK. I will keep that in mind.

Does it need to be shimmed or thinned? Seems crazy that the Hone does not fit.

Nick

mtbr member
    it all depends....if ur axel has any extra threading left on the none drive side u can slide it over just enough to get the nut on the none drive side and the hone on the right bc the hone system will replace the nut on the right side.....
    Gas Sucks Ride A Bike

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OldNick
    OK. Still some clearing up to do. I have done some reading around, and start to see what you are saying. Thanks for the links, too.

I will check out CRC's site. I was shopping at PricePoint because thay had some tyres that I want, that are really hard to get, and at a really good price. I live in Australia, so post from the US can be a killer if I try shopping around.

If the Hone at pricepoint _does_ need a new hub as someone said (does it?), then I do _not_ want it. So that question still remains. Maybe I will just take the shadow. It certainly seems to address many problems. How easy is shadow compared to low-normal? IIRC LN is really easy because you actually have the spring doing the shift to a bigger cog.

Nick
    I prefer the low normal, I went from the low normal xtr to the xt shadow so as far as easier... hard to beat xtr ,but no more bent hangers, got rid of that big loop of cable too
    the shadow has a stronger spring so it seems more positive when you shift, also like getting rid of the pivot.
    Ideally , my choice would be shadow low normal, but that aint going to happen, someone said it cant be done because of the design. since I went to shadow Ive gotten rid of 2 xtr low normal so I guess the shadow wins.
    If I were you, I would either get the xt shadow or the new hone shadow and forget about the axle mount, the shadow pretty much takes care of the issues that axle mount handles
    and if you're real hard on hangers you can also add a hanger banger
    http://www.northshorebillet.com/main.html
    if you want extra heavy duty check out the new saint shadow