mtbr member
    May 2006

Shimano Hone Crankset

How is this crankset? They cost less then the LX but are tailored to an all moun tain bike. I also like the black color. If anyone has them let me know what you think. Thanks

local trails rider
    It is the same as LX, except the "two rings + bashring" model has a steel axle (and steel inserts for the pedal threads?).

LX is pretty good, Hone is no worse.

SuperInstigator
    The black anodizing wears very quickly, especially if you ride trails with platforms, in which case there is lots of rubbing and they wear within a dozen rides.

They are excellent structurally though, especially for the price. If you take a level up to the Saints, they are just about the stiffest cranks out there...

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/arc.../t-167609.html

Tim
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

...idios...
    I use them and have had no issues. I don't use the rings as I run an e13 Guide Ring on a 1x9 set-up, but the cranks themselves are rigid without feeling too heavy and they've got me sold on the external bottom bracket system. It's recommended to have the BB shell faced and the threads chased before fitting the HTII cups.
    I ride with platforms and have no problem at all with rubbing/wearing, although I habitually position my foot centrally on the pedal body.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

moaaar shimz

Nice

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I use the 3-ring version (same as LX), I run it SS...no issues .. just as good as my XTs...

BTW.. sweet pic, Tacu!

No, that's not phonetic
    Nice solid cranks. I like mine a lot. They are a bit heavier than my XT's (my favorite cranks) but they cost a lot less. Get some.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

I have some in 170mm

I love them... stiff, and the BB setup is great. the 170mm is a good compromise if you strike your pedals a lot.

-MP29K
    "you use rubber (or girl contraception) to protect yourself and your future. Well, I think its better to have a "unwanted child" than a broken neck." - ^vindicator!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Should I use a hone bashring on my LX crank? or is there something better out there. Ride mostly XC but sometimes overly aggressive.

local trails rider
    E-13 and Blackspire make pretty nice bashrings.
    My LX cranks (in SS mode) have some bashring that the LBS had left over from somebody's build.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    My hone cranks outlasted one of my bike :P. I currently have one on my SS bike (the 3 ring version) and i am looking forward to buy another one for my DJ bike.

VERY GOOD crankset half the price of XT and only 60g more heavy.