mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Shimano Hollowtech II Removal

Hello, I was wondering how I remove a shimano hollowtech II crankset with the integrated spindle on the drive side crank. I have both park tools for removing cranks with square taper and with ISIS drive, but it doesn't look like either one should be used in this case. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wes223
    Hello, I was wondering how I remove a shimano hollowtech II crankset with the integrated spindle on the drive side crank. I have both park tools for removing cranks with square taper and with ISIS drive, but it doesn't look like either one should be used in this case.
    You need Park Tool BBT-9 or equivalent.

To remove the cranks, loosen the pinch bolts on the non-drive side. Then, using the plastic portion of the BBT-9 tool, remove the plastic crank cap from the non-drive side. The non-drive crank should now come off. Once the non-drive side crank is off, you should be able to pull the drive side crank and spindle out. Once that is done, you can remove the bearing cups using the BBT-9 tool.

If you need more info, the Park Tool site has complete instructions for both installation and removal.
    Last edited by KevinB; 11-10-2005 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Add link to Park Tool's instructions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the info!