mtbr member
    May 2013

Shimano Hollowtech II left safety plate

Hi all. I ordered this part fir my Shimano XT m785 crank set but it does not fit. I have the same problem as what the reviewer describes in the review below. Basically it's too small. I compared it side by side to another plate from one of my other cranks and it's about a millimetre or two smaller in dimension. My question is how can Shimano sell this when it doesn't fit? I ordered the same part from two different vendors thinking they sent me the wrong part but both were exactly the same. Grrrrr!!!

Universal Cycles -- Shimano Hollowtech II Left Arm Safety Plate
    Last edited by Lemonaid; 07-11-2013 at 07:15 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I ended up calling Shimano and they gave me the right part number. Y1FU98120. It kinda pisses me off that I spent $10 on parts that claim to be Hollowtech II compatible but dont fit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I just installed a compact Hollowtech crankset on my road bike. When I removed to original set, which was a Hollowtech set from 2006, it didn't have that safety plate at all. It sounds like something that they may have added later, probably in response to some kind of legal advice. I installed it on the new crankset, because it was included, but I'm thinking it might not be necessary, if you check your crankarm bolts regularly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonaid View Post
    I ended up calling Shimano and they gave me the right part number. Y1FU98120. It kinda pisses me off that I spent $10 on parts that claim to be Hollowtech II compatible but dont fit.
    Thanks for the part number.

I ran into the same problem recently, bought a pair of used SLX cranks and like a tool compleletey forgot about the plate when taking the crank off the spindle and I kinda broke off the little metal tip from the original safety place. Ordered a new one off Amazon and just like yours, mine was now too small to fit. But I just ended up transferring the new tip to my old plate to save it and it works.