mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Shimano freehub body life

How long has your freehub body held out? Recently I was waiting at a turnaround point on our group ride and tried to see how far I could get up a steep old 4x4 climb. As I ascended, I heard a loud noise; not unlike a chain breaking. Chain was fine, but my freehub had become locked in place. I rode home on my fixed gear full suspension bike. I have over 8000 miles on the bike, but switch between two wheel sets. So maybe this one has 4000 miles on it?
    I am glad I was not in Moab on the Slickrock trail when this happened. That happened last year to one of my buddies. Another buddies Rolf freehub body died the year too.

How long have yours held out? Any ideas on when to replace before they go out? What signs do you look or listen for?

urmb

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

My experience...

I recently noticed a clicking coming from my freehub/rear XT hub and still am procrastinating overhauling the mechanism. The wheel is only a year old with lots of miles, but the fact that it is crapping out this early has me looking around for a replacement to all my Shimano hubs.

I hope tearing the hub apart will show me where this noise is coming from, but I swapped out the wheel with a spare, noise disappeared, and hope to find out what is going on soon. Mine spins fine, just under load it makes a clicking sound on each pedal stroke.
    ... And I Am You,
    And What I See Is Me!

All 26.5" all the time!
    They can have an indefinate life if properly maintained (example: freehub body removed and shot full of light grease or thick oil when brand new), and 6 to 12 month overhauls.

If you're going to wait for them to make funny noises before maintaining them, be sure to bring along a good pair of hiking boots.

mtbr member
    The Morningstar freehub buddy is great for cleaning and lubricating the freehub. But you usually also need a new seal as it is often destroyed when being removed.

You can also buy a new freehub: all of the Shimano range is cross compatible, other than the XTRs.

Tim