mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Shimano FC-M760 vs. FC-M761

Would the 48 tooth chain ring from the 761 fit the 760? I am needing to replace the large chainring on my 760 and I am curious if the larger tooth chain ring from the 761 would be compatable.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JeppaCrzy
    Would the 48 tooth chain ring from the 761 fit the 760? I am needing to replace the large chainring on my 760 and I am curious if the larger tooth chain ring from the 761 would be compatable.

Thanks!
    have the 760, and on the crank arm itself it says 760/761... both are also 104 BCD.... so yes, as long as the chainring is 104bcd, it should work

mtbr member
    The 48 tooth will go on okay, but can your front derailleur handle it? The very latest xt front derailleurs can. Otherwise you have to have the 761 type. I just installed the 761 crank myself, but the 48 teeth just wouldn't fit with my frame (Haro werx 5), had to put a bash on instead (pretty happy with the e13 bash though). Just checked, the fd-760 works with the 48 teeth, though it says differently on the shimano website (if I remember correctly)

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Good point...

Good point on the front deraileur (sp?). I will have to look into that and also check the shop where I got my bike to see if there would be any frame/ clearance issues.

Another question though, my large chain ring is has a few snapped off teeth and looks considerably more worn that the other two. When do you need to replace it? Should you replace all the pieces at the same time or piece meal? It still shifts fine although I get some chain suck when shifting under pressure to the small ring.

- Rick

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by JeppaCrzy
    Good point on the front deraileur (sp?). I will have to look into that and also check the shop where I got my bike to see if there would be any frame/ clearance issues.

Another question though, my large chain ring is has a few snapped off teeth and looks considerably more worn that the other two. When do you need to replace it? Should you replace all the pieces at the same time or piece meal? It still shifts fine although I get some chain suck when shifting under pressure to the small ring.

- Rick

Typically the big ring can be missing a tooth or two and you won't even notice. I usually wear through the middle ring 2-3 times as fast as the big ring because I typically stay in the middle ring and only use the big for fireroads. YMMV There are a million causes of chainsuck though. Check here for most of them:

http://www.fagan.co.za/Bikes/Csuck/

Good luck.
    Long Live Long Rides