Shread Ready

Shimano electrical derailleurs

I thought this was kinda interesting. Guess they've worked out quite a few "Bugs" and now the derailleurs work pretty good. Albeit with quite a bit of a weight penalty. http://www.businessweek.com/globalbi...rss_topStories

mtbr member
    Seems like a long shot that they get to the point where they are durable enough for the average rider that doesn't have a team of mechanics following them. But who knows. I remember when everyone thought index shifting was a gimmick when Shimano launched it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I think they will eventually be reliable enough. Right now they are too expensive.
    However, I'm not sure if people want to have an electronic shifting thingie. Mostly because if the battery dies, your bike is more or less useless.

mtbr member
    i've used it.. it is f'n awesome. I am seriously concidering it right now.

"Tragically Flawed"

Great Idea!

Next, maybe we can get it to shift automatically.
    Then, we could add a motor of some sort.
    And two more wheels, to get over that difficult balance thing.
    And a roof and walls to keep the wind and rain out.
    And someone to drive it for us.
    And Bluetooth, so we can sit at home in the La-Z-Boy and watch it all happen on TV...

Live Free or Ride!
    I can see them getting it work on road bikes, but not anytime soon for mtn bikes. They would have to be as reliable as mechanical derailleurs for people to consider switching.
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

Shread Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantMartin
    I can see them getting it work on road bikes, but not anytime soon for mtn bikes. They would have to be as reliable as mechanical derailleurs for people to consider switching.
    Yeah, I seriously doubt this technology would work on a mountain bike. I mean their are just entirely to many different gear changes for situations that constantly change. One second your going down a rocky section only to go right back up another section. Don't see how this technology could work with Mountain bikes. Too many variables where as on a road bike everything is relatively constant.

Doctor
    Dec 2008

$5555?!

The guys at Versus were talking about this during the Tour of California coverage, and they were positive about it, particularly the ability to shift under load, and fast shifting.

Derailleur cables are eliminated, which is good.
    A battery is needed, which is bad.

Supposedly, the front derailleur trims itself in response to chain rub when different rear cogs are selected, which is good. But I can do that manually w/my $33 SRAM X-9 twisty.

Once they solve the issues w/vibration and moisture, it'll probably be inevitable. As already mentioned, if the battery dies or something shorts out, you're on a SS. I suppose they'll design in a "dead" position, perhaps on the middle ring and middle rear cog. It reminds me of the early days of SIS, where you could switch back to friction. Probably just there to instill confidence in consumers.

jeff

Doctor
    Dec 2008

$5555?!

deleted - double post
    Last edited by noodletips; 03-20-2009 at 12:18 PM.

mtbr member
    I had an opportunity to play with this system and talk with the Shimano guys when TOC was in Sacramento.

First thing - At this time there is NO plans for a MTB system. ZERO. I asked repeatedly to see if the reps would trip up and let something out.
    The road bike system will not tolerate rough roads, potholes, cobblestones, etc. No way it will work on a MTB.

The front derailuer does trim itself for proper position depending on where the RD is at. Shifts are very quick and precise. They can be made with full load, full torque. All in all, a very cool system for top level bikes, but not practical for the average joe.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    the d2 system is so damn expensive its truly ridiculous. the rear derailleur, battery, and wire system is 1400.00. thats insane and doesnt include the shift levers which are over 900 for the pair...