mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Shimano Derailleur Pivot Wear

Note to self: Clean/re-grease derailleur pivots periodically.

Kinda surprised me this as the derailleur isn't that old as such and doesn't show any bad play in the other pivots. I've a theory that I might have used a thin oil like GT85/TF2 down there at some point and flushed out the grease, and somehow water/mud found it's way in past the seal and ground it to death. I think it could be worthwhile repacking the grease periodically (not that they're mega expensive to replace, but seems a waste when other than this the derailleur is fine).

Just noticed this recently as the gears started skipping towards the top of the cassette, and even jumped over into the spokes at one point (not good for spinnergy wheels! ).

A lesson learnt (for me) is all.

ups and downs
    Which model of derailleur is that and how old?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    It is (was) an RD-M761-SGS (long cage). Actually I underestimated how long I'd had it as after looking it up I bought it February 2007, so it's done a few miles really, somewhere around 650 off-road with a fair amount of wet/grit/mud in there.

It's just not something I'd usually service though I do most every thing else on the bike pretty often. I didn't realise they came apart that easily having never paid much attention to that little Allen bolt holding it together.

Anyway I've knocked together some frankenderailluer ghetto fix by replacing the XT cage with one from a cheapo Deore I had lying about. I think it weighs about a kilogram more now but there's no play and the gears work properly again (rather than the 'non-linear pull' effect the worn out bit was causing). Win!

Apologies for the pretty meaningless posts but guess it's just a head's up really for anyone else who might also never bother to service this bit.