mtbr member
    Mar 2008

shimano chain installation

i'm installing a new shimano chain. those who have done this before should note that out of the packaging there is an end pin half-attatched to the end link of the chain, and the chain also comes with a "reinforced connecting pin" in a separate packet. if the chain needs to be cut to correct length, should the half-connected end pin still be used to join the chain where the cut was made or should the "reinforced connecting pin" be used instead. i understand that the flaired endings of the pins damage the hole when removed and i just want to make sure the chain is installed correctly.

thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Ok to use the 'half-connected end pin' which will be sticking out of a 'outer plate' of the chain, according to shimano, this should point to, or be closer to, the rear der, than the front chain ring... always better to cut a chain so that a inner link is left, that way your are not using a outer link that has had a pin pushed through it already. it must be older stock as now most shimano chains only come with the reinforced connecting pin...

so feed the 'half-connected end pin' end of the chain, to the front chain ring & the other end goes around the rear sprockets & through the rear der...

K

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    protip, do not "cut" the chain from the reinforced pin if you ever need to. It will most likely bend the link when you try to reinstall it. Happened to me yesterday.

I don't think it matters if you use the conecting pin, or do it normally. I think shimano just wanted to make it look cool, like sram did.