Loser

Shimano autoshift?

A buddy sent me this link:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/s...les-239683.php

Shimano, bicycle gearmaker to the stars, has made a three-speed automatic transmission for those who don't take biking quite so seriously. Shimano Coasting Components make a bike smart enough to shift its own gears, giving you a riding experience that doesn't require any attention or input.

Shimano is licensing the technology to bike makers such as Trek, Giant and Raleigh; pricing wasn't announced yet.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images

Life is Good
    Wow. Looks pretty interesting, but (like you said) I don't think this will strike very popular with any mountain biking groups. Should be awesome for cruising the beach though.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

El Pollo Diablo
    If they can make it intuitive enough, down the road this could be applicable to nearly everyone who rides...
    very cool, even now.

Crunchatize me Capn'
    There's a write up in this months Bicycling magazine. Apparently they aren't being marketed to the current cycling crowd. They are intended to be for those who have money but don't ride. Namely the 160 miilion people who had fond memories of riding as a kid but who today don't own a bike. Essentially the idea is to get rid of as much maintenance as possible so users only have happy experiences.

Now broadcasting from CO

hmmmm...

Looks like it would be a pain in the a$$ to remove the rear wheel if you ever needed to...
    Brought to you by rocks.

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    Maybe I should also think about trading in my manual transmission truck, I hear they make those that also shift for you!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    yeah I was about to say jeez how lazy can you get...manual transmission on everything we ride/drive WOOT

SuperInstigator
    hmmm, I already saw an auto shifting bike on rental last March in Cape Cod. I think it's nice. People who don't have the health or coordination or simple knowledge to ride a bike have one less thing to worry about. Namely, older senior citizens and handicapt persons.

Otherwise, manual is the way to go for everything! Okay, maybe not everything, but almost everything. Hate those automatic doors. Ran right into one once cuz it was broke.
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

Fat, but working on it...
    I think it's a good idea. No, it probably won't apply to anyone on this board or anyone who is serious about riding, but it will work for people who want a bike to just ride around. And anything that gets more people riding gets a thumbs up from me...
    Nothing to see here. Move along...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Just purchased auto bike - Schwinn Sid.

I am the demographic being marketed to. 63 years old, haven't ridden in 47 years.

I actually wanted a 3-7 speed manual in a nice looking quality bike.

Settled on the Schwinn Sid. Probably bought the bike because of the handlebars and hubcaps. No bending over, great for the back. Easier for cars to see. Very comfortable.

Like the bike. Okay for the retro crowd.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    This takes all the fun out of going up and down a gear randomly in the trail for the heck of it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Automatic Shifter-Demographic

My 68 year old next door neighbor saw me riding my new Schwinn Sid yesterday. Today, I went to the shop with her and after testing one, she immediately purchased the ladies version, Schwinn Nancy. She hadn't ridden a bike for 50 years. This is a market waiting to happen. I just wish it had 7 speeds instead of 3.

Members who have read this thread: 0