Hard Rider

Shimano Acera/Alivio 9spd Upgrade

Hey, my rear derailleur and cage have gotten completely destroyed and sheared off in a recent encounter with a log. This is the second time its happened since Christmas when I got the bike (Trek 4300) the first time I took it back to the shop and they replaced the Shimano Acera rear mech with the Alivio but that isn't really any more durable! Its still got the Acera crank, front derailleur and shifter on it though.

Im looking at getting a better rear mech setup, preferably more durable but not too expensive (budget of about 80) but I'm not 100% sure on what to get...

I've only been cycling since about a week before Christmas so am not the most knowledgeable on the subject but have been trying to know more. I understand that there's compatibility issues between rear derailleurs and some cassettes and cranks so would it be worth replacing the drivetrain with a wholly better one, especially as I never use the smallest gear at the front and spend most time on the big one, if this would be better then can probably push the budget up to 100. I thought this might work because short cages tend to not work with 3 front gears (or so I've heard...)

If that's not really worth it then what would you all recommend? Riding-wise I'm a pretty aggressive and hard rider and the local route is quite a rugged one.

Thanks!

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Whatever you did to tear off a the Alivio and Acera derailleurs would most likely have destroyed any other RD as well. Your problem is not your derailleur, it's what you are subjecting it to.

With your track record, I would stick to cheap rear derailleurs.

Any shimano 9-speed rear derailleur will work.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Hard Rider
    Ahh okay, was just wondering it the more expensive ones were more hard-wearing.

Shall stick to the cheap ones as advised, thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Agreed,
    I'd rather much tear through cheap RD's than sets of expensive ones.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I trashed a 9 Speed XTR RD on the third ride by catching the cage on a log on a jungle single track ride.
    Having said that its worth getting an SLX (M662)or XT (m772) 9 speed shadow RD if replacing (they are on offer at chain reaction cycles at the moment about 40 quid I think - the cheaper ones are 20 to 25
    Shimano SLX M662 Shadow 9 Speed Rear Mech | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

They will work with 7, 8 or 9 speed shifters and cassettes and they have the advantage over the cheaper ones:
    - stiffer spring so less chain slap and better chain retention
    - No big loop of cable out the back to catch
    - lower profile so less easily bashed on the trail (but still possible)
    Worth the extra 15 or 20 quid in my opinion

mtbr member

Re: Shimano Acera/Alivio 9spd Upgrade

+1 for the slx. Very tough rd. Newer version is 9/10 compatible. I see my hanger breaking before trashing this rd. Plus as said the whole shadow thing is awesome things stay up much closer to the frame so much harder to snag.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

Hard Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJon View Post
    I trashed a 9 Speed XTR RD on the third ride by catching the cage on a log on a jungle single track ride.
    Having said that its worth getting an SLX (M662)or XT (m772) 9 speed shadow RD if replacing
    [QUOTE=tigris99;10373093]+1 for the slx. /QUOTE]

Brilliant hearing this as just 10 minutes ago I ordered the SLX M662 from CRC before checking back here! Should arrive soon so shall whack it on and have a bash round the trail and see how it copes! Cheers