mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Shimano 600 Rear Der sticking issue.

Ideas please. This is driving me nuts. Shifting up from 7 to 1 it shifts great, No clicking, immediately shifts and rides perfect. Shifting down from 1 to 7 it sticks. It doesn't go into 2 until I have the shifter on 3 or 4 and stays like that until I get to 7 in which case it goes into 6. After riding for awhile it will eventually free up and shift fine but if it sits for a few days it starts again and Ive got to ride for an hour or 2 before it decides to free up and act right again. I've cleaned it, used WD-40 and PB. Also used a degreaser to clean and then re-lubed it. Last try was Goo-Gone just in case it had something in it. Its completely clean, lubed and the spring is ok. Also has a new cable thats lubed and moves free. Is it just worn and in need of replacing? It does have quite a few miles on it.
    1993 Trek Multitrack 700
    2011 Trek Hifi Plus
    2013 WalGoose

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    After you have shifted and the rear derailleur does not shift, is the cable loose and floppy? If so, I would check the B-screw to see if the derailleur is hanging up on the cassette cogs. If the cable is not loose, then the shifter is not working correctly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    After you have shifted and the rear derailleur does not shift, is the cable loose and floppy? If so, I would check the B-screw to see if the derailleur is hanging up on the cassette cogs. If the cable is not loose, then the shifter is not working correctly.
    The cable doesn't have anything to do with the issue. It works fine going from High to low gear, its when you go from low to high the problem exists. My limit screws are correctly adjusted as well as the angle/tension screw. I've taken the cable off and shifted it by hand to low gear and when I let it go it doesn't go back to high gear all the way like the spring should pull it. If I work it for awhile it eventually frees up but I can't see anything on the pin hinges that is causing it. No sticky chemicals or residue, and there doesn't seem to be any divets, burs etc.. Thanks for the input though.
    1993 Trek Multitrack 700
    2011 Trek Hifi Plus
    2013 WalGoose

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumpy69 View Post
    I've taken the cable off and shifted it by hand to low gear and when I let it go it doesn't go back to high gear all the way like the spring should pull it. If I work it for awhile it eventually frees up but I can't see anything on the pin hinges that is causing it.
    If this is the case, and the spring is fine as you said in the initial post then toss it in the bin and get a replacement.