mtbr member
    Jan 2006

shimano 510 questions

hi new to the site and looking to upgrade my old 200 cannondale super v bike. I recieved a m510 rear derailleur and was wondeing if i can go witht he 9 speed free wheel and m510 cranks. also what do i need to look for as in bottom bracket size to use the m510's

The devil is an angel too
    Mar 2005
    I am pretty sure the 510 cranks call for a 110mm spindle -shell width will be whatever your frame needs, 68 or 73mm.

You should be able to go with a 9spd drivetrain with those cranks and rear der.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazeabago
    hi new to the site and looking to upgrade my old 200 cannondale super v bike. I recieved a m510 rear derailleur and was wondeing if i can go witht he 9 speed free wheel and m510 cranks. also what do i need to look for as in bottom bracket size to use the m510's
    You can use a 9 speed cassette if you have 9 speed shifters and a 8/9 speed hub.

Which model of the Deore M510 crank do you have? Is it the square taper or Octalink BB type crank?
    There is no added value to my participation - in fact, just more confusion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    i havent bought it yet and dont know which bb i have.

The devil is an angel too
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazeabago
    i havent bought it yet and dont know which bb i have.
    Well, further investigation revealed that the 510 cranks may have come in splined BB also. Go figures. Anyhoo, whomever is selling it to you should be able to tell you if it uses square taper or splined BB's. If it is the square taper one, Shimano recommended a 110mm spindle. I am almost sure that the manual -or installation instructions- should tell you the recommended BB spindle. So you may want to get the cranks first and then buy the BB.

As far as what your bike has on, regarding shell width: get a ruler, measure the width of the shell and there you go. It should be either 68mm(2.7inches) or 73mm(2.9inches)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenK
    Well, further investigation revealed that the 510 cranks may have come in splined BB also. Go figures.
    I think this was a stupid thing on Shimano's part, a different BB interface should have meant a new part number to reduce confusion.
    There is no added value to my participation - in fact, just more confusion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    thank you allfor the responses