Baby Bear is in the house

Shimano 3-speed front shifter compatible with all series?

Is the actuation/indexing of Shimano front 3-speed shifters the same across the board for 7-, 8-, 9-, and 10-speed front derailleurs? For example, can I use a 2012 SLX DynaSys front shifter with a 9-speed Alivio front derailleur?
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Fat-tired Roadie
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Thanks. I must've missed bullet #4.
    But is it the same for 7- and 8-speed front shifters as well?
    The reason I ask is, I'm currently SS but thinking of going 1x10. Where I live, shifters can't be bought separately; they have to be in pairs. I only need the right/rear shifter. I'm wondering if the left/front shifter would work with a friend's drivetrain--8-speed Alivio--since his left shifter is shot and needs replacing.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Yes, the front shifter should work with 7/8/and 9 speed systems.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

LightJunction.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash View Post
    Yes, the front shifter should work with 7/8/and 9 speed systems.

Good Dirt
    apologies for hijacking your thread, but I was under the impression 6/7/8-speed systems had the same pull ratio and 9-speed were different. Is that not the case?
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by lightjunction View Post
    apologies for hijacking your thread, but I was under the impression 6/7/8-speed systems had the same pull ratio and 9-speed were different. Is that not the case?
    Nope, pull ratios are the same for the front derailleurs. Cage width on the 9 speed is a little narrower, but not enough to make it incompatible with the others.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by lightjunction View Post
    For Shimano...

The pull ratios are the same at least from 7-speed through 9-speed. I "think" it's the same for 6-speed as well, and there are 6-speed indexed shifters which would have required that Shimano standardize their cable pull across their shifters and derailleurs if they hadn't already.

When I took my bike 9-speed, I just swapped the cassette and shifter. It worked fine; I only changed to a new rear derailleur because I fell on the old one.

Because the spacing gets narrower, chains get narrower each time too. Chains for fewer than 8-speeds are not common, unless they're singlespeed chains. 8-speed chains work great on 5- and 6-speed drivetrains, however. My commuter got either 8-speed chains or whatever chain I took off a different bike to make a drivetrain revision requiring something longer.

An old 6-speed front derailleur drops into a 9-speed drivetrain but the compatibility is not ideal. On my 'cross bike, I got it to shift, but it required a modern chainring to be able to shift up consistently without throwing the chain. I talked it over with a friend of mine who knows bikes, and with my mechanic. Both thought that the conservative choice would be to use a contemporary front derailleur. My friend's reasoning was that front derailleur cages got a little narrower with every update. While going up or down one size (like 8 vs 9) is generally fine, this was a more significant change.

Road and mountain front derailleurs are not "supposed to be" cross-compatible. People do it sometimes. I haven't tried it myself.

For 10-speed, the cable pull is different.

For SRAM...

I believe internal cross-compatibility is basically the same as Shimano. The front derailleurs are cross-compatible between the two brands, although my mechanic commented that he thought matching brands works better. We were looking at a road bike at the time.

10-speed is different from SRAM fewer-speed.

The cassettes are cross-compatible. SRAM describes their spacing as "industry standard."

I need to finish my coffee, that was a bit Asperger-y.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx