mtbr member
    Sep 2010

New question here. Shimano 2x10 to 1x10 upgrade - what do I need?

My son has a 2015 Jamis Dakar XCT Pro with an XT 2x10 drivetrain (Shadow Plus RD, 11-36 cassette, 24/38 chainrings). I'd like to upgrade him to 1x10 without changing the derailleur or shifter, so basically just a new cassette (probably the new Shimano CS-HG500 11-42 cassette) and a NW 28T or 30T chainring.

I have 2 main questions:

1) What's a good, reasonably cheap NW chainring, and do I need special spacers for it?

2) Do I need a "goatlink" or is the link that comes with the CS-HG500 correct for my setup?

Thanks,
    Sean

mtbr member
    since you're buying a new derailleur and cassette anyway a 1x11 shimano SLX setup with sunrace 11-50 cassette may be the better option here, range is crucial with 1x and 11-42 is too limited IMO (I rode 10-42 long time myself)

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'm not buying a new derailleur, just a new cassette and chainring. My son will be fine with 11-42 for his riding needs.

Thanks,
    Sean

mtbr member
    sorry I misread but 10speed derailleurs don't work well with 42T cogs (depends on the frame dropout), thats why special cages were used years ago when 1x10 with 42T cassette extender cog was a popular tuning option

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Maybe that used to be true, but Shimano now makes their own 10-speed, 11-42T cassette specifically for 10-speed derailleurs. See:

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...0-11-42-625064

It even comes with a special extender link for the 10-speed derailleur.

-Sean

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Shimano 2x10 to 1x10 upgrade - what do I need?

1) RaceFace and Wolf Tooth make decently valued chainrings that come in both direct mount and spider mounted options. I personally prefer OneUp or AbsoluteBlack, but those cost more.

2) A bare minimum would be a longer b-screw, but goat links are highly recommended.

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks Shadow4eva. I'm looking at both Raceface and Wolftooth. My cranks are Shimano XT 104/64BCD 2x spider cranks. Raceface has a 30T NW 104 option, but I'm not clear whether I need special spacers/bolts to get the chainline right. Wolftooth has a 28T NW 64 option (which would be my preference, I think), but again, not sure about the need for special bolts/spacers.

My specific question on the "goatlink" thing is whether the link that comes with the new Shimano CS-HG500 11-42 cassette is correct, or do I need some other link for a ShadowPlus XT derailleur?

Thanks,
    Sean

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainsean View Post
    It even comes with a special extender link for the 10-speed derailleur.

-Sean
    I'm aware of the cassette but never heard about an accompanying extender link (what's that?) since the equally new 2017 Deore 10speed derailleur is the only 10speed one officially compatible

if you're going the goat link route there's also a 10 speed sunrace 11-46 cassette available

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Can't advise on the chainline as I usually leave it to my LBS to do the calculation.

For the goat link, afaik, goat link is a 3rd party (wolf tooth, iirc) aftermarket part to allow 11-42t cassettes to fit into older 10spd derailleurs. By older 10spd derailleurs I mean the models with 3 digits, as the new M6000 Deore and M7000 SLX are able to fit 11-42 stock.

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I've done the conversion 9 months ago and here is what I did

1) I bought Raceface NW chainring 30T (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) for $50. You don't need spacer, it's built-in the chainring for the correct chainline.

2) I bought Sunrace 11-42T cassette. It also comes with the RD link but I didn't need to use it for my Deore derailleur.

3) New chain (need extra links to accommodate the bigger cassette).

Everything works like a charm.

My son has a 2015 Jamis Dakar XCT Pro with an XT 2x10 drivetrain (Shadow Plus RD, 11-36 cassette, 24/38 chainrings). I'd like to upgrade him to 1x10 without changing the derailleur or shifter, so basically just a new cassette (probably the new Shimano CS-HG500 11-42 cassette) and a NW 28T or 30T chainring.

I have 2 main questions:

1) What's a good, reasonably cheap NW chainring, and do I need special spacers for it?

2) Do I need a "goatlink" or is the link that comes with the CS-HG500 correct for my setup?

Thanks,
    Sean

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks Gumby_rider. Did you need any new bolts or did your stock ones work ok? Also, did you mount the chainring on the inside or the outside of the spider tabs (that might be a dumb question, but I've seen some confusing pictures on the web).

Thanks,
    Sean

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I used the same bolts. The chainring is threaded for the bolts so you don't need the old nuts. Look at the second photo at this site (| Jenson USA), you can see the threaded build-in spacer.

It is mounted on the inside of the spider. Remember the new chainring is supposed to be right in the middle between the two (double) chainring.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks Gumby_rider. Did you need any new bolts or did your stock ones work ok? Also, did you mount the chainring on the inside or the outside of the spider tabs (that might be a dumb question, but I've seen some confusing pictures on the web).

Thanks,
    Sean

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    So.... I think I found a different solution to my problem. Wolftooth makes a 26T 64BCD NW chainring as well as a 28T 64BCD oval ring. I'm thinking I just go with one of these and skip the whole cassette upgrade entirely. With the 26T I'll get a low enough gear for my son's needs, and only give up some high gears that he'll very rarely use. The 28T, if it really does pedal like a 26T in terms of low gearing, might even work better, but I'm a little hesitant to trust the oval thing for him since I'm most concerned about the lower gears.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    If the 64BCD chainring can be installed with the correct chainline then why not. Let us know how it works out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumby_rider View Post
    If the 64BCD chainring can be installed with the correct chainline then why not. Let us know how it works out.
    Usually it's better than the 104mm position, just as good at least.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    For what it's worth, I installed the 26T Wolftooth 64BCD round chainring this weekend and it works like a champ. Chainline is good, shifting is good, just low enough gearing for my son, and a cheap/easy upgrade ($50). Dropped about 1-lb. off the bike too. Thanks for all the help/replies.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    USA Made Chainring with integrated bashgard, can get 26 or 28T. Makes the chainline real nice. Only about $35. Only thing is, not Narrow Wide, but should work fine, better with clutch derailleur, or even put a chain guide on.

Cool thing about this product is it fits standard 104BCD with a smaller than 30T chainring due to the integrated bashguard.
    https://usamade.myshopify.com/collec...tegrated-guard
    Gman

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    since you're buying a new derailleur and cassette anyway a 1x11 shimano SLX setup with sunrace 11-50 cassette may be the better option here, range is crucial with 1x and 11-42 is too limited IMO (I rode 10-42 long time myself)
    11-42 hasn't killed me yet (30t chainring), and I've been riding on a pretty decent range of terrain in the Phoenix area with it so far. Wouldn't mind a slightly easier granny gear, but it hasn't stopped me from making it up all the same nutty shit I did on 2x (same cassette, 26/36 rings.)

If anything, the extra effort needed has helped build a little strength (and my segment times keep on improving, so in at least some ways, it's working.)

Admittedly, might not be for everyone. I also enjoy hiking across the Grand Canyon twice, nonstop.