mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Shimano 105 CN-5701 Chain on XT 2011 Drivetrain

vs

wondering if it's alright to use the road bike chain on the mtb drivetrain... from what I can see they're almost the same with the asymmetrical chain design. what do you guys think?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    No problems. XTR chains are nothing more than old 9spd Dura Ace chains. Box even says Dura Ace.
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    "It's amazing how people can make bicycle riding seem so complicated on the internet."

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Shimano chains are cross-compatible between road and mountain models as long as its for the same number of speeds of rear cassette. Personally I prefer KMC for chains anyway, and would use an X10 or X10-SL instead of a shimano model chain.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    there was a video on pinkbike from the dude at shimano saying that the HG-X is a mountain bike-specific chain. so I'm a bit worried with that. something to do with strength and longevity... i forgot.

Already have the shifters, cassete, and RD, still waiting for the FD and cranks. Asked my LBS, and the owner said he'll swap out the chain with the HG-X (I think his mechanic sent the wrong one unintentionally, which was why I ended up with the 105 chain).