it's just baby phat..

shimano 10 speed vs sram 10speed cassettes

did a search and could not find a reliable answer. sorry if this has been answered.

will a shimano xt m771 10 speed cassette work with sram xx 10 speed shifters or do i NEED to use a sram 10 speed cassette?

logic tells me that it should be able to use the shimano but i was hoping someone could give me a definitive answer.

thx.

phat

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Spacing is the same, so all other things being equal it's a safe substitution.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

Former Bike Wrench
    There was some poster from Australia claiming that Shimano MTB 10 speed is different, however when asked to provide information to back that claim up...none was provided.

SRAM MTB, Road, and Shimano Road 10 speed is for sure the same...Shimano MTB 10 speed should be the same.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    If SRAM hasn't used the same spacing they'd have cut themselves out of sales to Shimano shifter users wanting different cassettes, and vice versa.

mtbr member
    I believe that the cassette spread (individual cog teeth count) is slightly different as well, and may be a factor for some riders. At least this seems true for 11-36T cassettes.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    11-36 cassettes were a limited advantage for SRAM of one model year, but even then IRD offered one quickly enough. Shimano for 2011 has 11-32, 11-34, and 11-36 ten speed cassettes to add to all their road models (which includes the 11-28 DuraAce one). The only size missing from their lineup is an 11-30 and I bet they'd do one of those if a manufacturer demanded it, probably as part of the Deore LX trekking group.