mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Shifting problems w/ SRAM X-5 triggers

Guys,
    I have a set of X-5 trigger shifters on a Cannondale. Right one is working fine. Left one skips second cog and lands on first when I downshift from third. Dealer has tried to adjust the cables but no cigar. Now he tells me that he has to open it and service the parts inside (!!!???). Is this one of those micro-adjustment cases where you have to spend hours turning the adjuster 1mm at a time until you hit the spot?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    D

Singletrack Slayer
    What youre saying is that when in 3rd gear, you shift down to 2nd, the shifter skips 2nd or the chain jumps to 1st while the shifter is in 2nd? If the shifter is just going from 3rd to 1st with one click and skipping 2nd. The the shifter is probably defective, like a spring is broken or maybe it is really stuck up with grease.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks. The shifter skips 2nd and goes to 1st with one click. I was able to fix it by turning the cable adjuster but now it's acting up again.

Singletrack Slayer
    Sounds like it might be a bad shifter. I would take it back to the shop and have them look at it. Is it new?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    yup, about three months old - almost brand new. can these things be fixed or should i just try to have them replaced under warranty?

Singletrack Slayer
    I would ask for a new one.

Members who have read this thread: 0