mtbr member

shifting problems; how to fix?

Hey everyone, I just got a new rig last week and have been having problems with the shifting in the RD ever since my first ride. The chain will continually skip between gears not falling into a particular gear. (gears between 6-8). I'm assuming adjusting the limit screws will fix it but I don't know which one to turn and which way to turn 'em. I've read the manual (SRAM X9) but information is about initial set-up and aligning the pulleys with the gears. I've done what's in the manual and everything appears the same. Help please!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tkbiker
    Hey everyone, I just got a new rig last week and have been having problems with the shifting in the RD ever since my first ride. The chain will continually skip between gears not falling into a particular gear. (gears between 6-8). I'm assuming adjusting the limit screws will fix it but I don't know which one to turn and which way to turn 'em. I've read the manual (SRAM X9) but information is about initial set-up and aligning the pulleys with the gears. I've done what's in the manual and everything appears the same. Help please!
    If you have a new bike, chances are the limit screws are just fine and you may have stretched shifter cable, so I would try small adjustments to the derailler cable with the knob on either the shifter or the derailler, depending on the model you have. search this forum or on google for derailleur adjustment, but since the bike is new, I'd just bring it back to the shop...they should be able to do it quickly and you can watch how they do it.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the quick reply EJblur and for pointing me in the right direction.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Parktool.com is a great site for repair 'how to's'. Here's a link to the rear derailleur 'how to' section.

http://parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    adjusting the hi and low limiting screws are not going to help with the chain skipping between gears. more then likely your shifter cable needs to be adjusted... using the adjuster barrel at the shifter pod thread it in or out until the cage wheel sits in-line with the cassette cog wheel. If this doesnt help then you may need a new shifter cable assuming that all the other components are within spec