mtbr member

shifting a 36T cassette

Does anyone have experiance useing a long cage 105 rear derailer with a ten speed 36T cassette? Can it be done?

I want to convert my wife's Specilized Sirrus in to a more of a do-it-all cross type bike. It's ten speed with a triple up front and 12-27 in the back. Flat bar ten speed shifters and a long cage Shimano 105 rear der.

I would like to be able to run a 12-36 or 11-36 cassette. Maybe use a Shimano Dyna-sys XT or Sram Apex rear cassette.

Just looking for alittle insight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    How is the bike a 10 speed with 3 in the front an X in the back?
    3*X does not equal 10.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1
    How is the bike a 10 speed with 3 in the front an X in the back?
    3*X does not equal 10.
    "10 speed", "9 speed", etc hasn't referred to the total number of possible ratios for a couple decades now. "10 speed" simply means 10 cogs in the cassette

as for the original question, I don't think it is likely to work. Road derailleurs are built a little different. I've heard they most work with 32t cassettes, and I've heard of a couple people having success with a 34t cassettes but it was quite tight.

Former Bike Wrench
    As I recall, the Specialized Road Hybrids had an exceptionally short derailleur hanger and the road rear derailleurs even struggled with 11-28 SRAM cassettes (the small/big combination always resulted in the pulley wheels contacting the cassette teeth and the resulting grinding felt through the pedals). If it is the same currently, it probably will not work very good.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, it is a 30 speed (3x10)if thats really what you mean.

I'll have to look into that derailleur hanger issue, I was unaware of that even being a possible problem. Thats good info.

Pondering this problem almost the entire afternoon it dawned on me I have an old 8 speed Deore XT rear der. floating around somewhere. That might work a little better? What do you all think?

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by ghughes.hesinc
    Thanks guys, it is a 30 speed (3x10)if thats really what you mean.

I'll have to look into that derailleur hanger issue, I was unaware of that even being a possible problem. Thats good info.

Pondering this problem almost the entire afternoon it dawned on me I have an old 8 speed Deore XT rear der. floating around somewhere. That might work a little better? What do you all think?
    Worth a shot, it should shift just fine with the road shifters...it may or may not clear a 36t