mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Shifters and Derrailleurs

Hi guys, this is my first post and I need new derailleurs on my Norco rampage. the front one barely moves and the I just hate the back one the front is a Shimano saint and the back is a Shimano Deore XT. And well both the shifter are junk as well I believe they are alivio.

So I was thinking of switching to Sram X.9 or X.7 as well as switching to those shifters right now I have a 2x8 drive train and was also thinking on switching out the back cassette to a 10 speed seeing as I already have the 2 in the front ? what would the approximate price be ? I just want to get rid of Shimano S*&t. Thanks

Hi.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    yea so I was wondering what the best prcies for all of thoses thing would be plus or minus the casette and also we would have to adjust the back shifter to whatever I change it to I would imagine my best bet right now would be to keep the cassette

Hi.
    So what exactly do you hate about your setup? I've used nearly every Shimano and SRAM shifter/derailleur made over the years, and although I have my favorites, I don't really "hate" any of them. I've found that most problems people have with shifters and derailleurs comes from poor maintenance or parts that aren't adjusted correctly.

You said your front shifter barely moves - I would think that this is more likely a setup issue than a part issue. Do you have dirt/mud/crud in your cables and housings? This would prevent your shifter from moving very well.

What's wrong with the XT on the back? Nearly every person I know who runs an XT drivetrain loves it, so I'm thinking again you have problems with your setup.

How many miles do you have on your setup? Is your chain stretched? Are your cables and housing clean? What kind of riding do you do, and what exactly is giving you problems?

You need to realize that just replacing these parts is not going to help you in the long run, if the problems you are having can be fixed by maintenance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well the front der. is my fault and i know that I drove the bike to school had an exam and had nothing else to take it was during a canadian winter..
    The shifters are pretty much broke just worn out and for the miles on the bike I do about 1-3kms a day 5 days a week just down the road and I bought it used and its a 2006 bike not sure how much it got ridden seeing as the guy i bought it from had other better bike like a team dh and a kona stinky.
    and for the miss shifts on the back its hard to say becasue of the shifters beign all screwed up.
    Im willing to bet most of it could be fixed my by maintenace becasue im sure there is a lot of wear on the chain and maybe even the cassette.. what do u think ?

Hi.
    A good place to start would be to get new cables and housing for your derailleurs. They're not too expensive, and will really affect performance, especially if the bike has a lot of miles or has been stored outside.

You also want to check your chain for stretch - the guys at your LBS can do this, or you can measure it yourself (read more online how to do this.)

Next, I'd ensure that the derailleurs are both functional, and hit pivot points with a dry lube if necessary.

Lube up your shifters with the same lube (like TriFlow) prior to installing the new cables and housing.

After reinstalling the new cables/housing, adjust the derailleurs to shift smoothly and cleanly. There are a ton of tutorials online how to do this, and the www.parktool.com website is a good resource too.

If all these things are completed, your bike should work much better. If your chain is stretched, there's a chance your cassette is worn and possibly your chainrings too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've tried 2 three time to free up the front derailleur it will free but only for a day or 2 then it will seize again and I put a new cable to the front one aswell it is actually bending the housing. whats cable and housing cost? 10 bucks to do everything i would imagine?
    all remesure the chain what would a good tolerance be? for chain stretch
    and I definately need new shifter they are misshifting like crazy pretty much broke I would say

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    no something is ****ed! just spent an hour trying to tune it and lost the top three gears on the back der. only one set screw for the stupid thing works and if u cant tell im frustrated as hell. its almost worth new ones what kind of shifters and derailers can i get for under 250 ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    These work excellent for little money.

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...o-Kit-2010.htm

I prefer a Sram 8-speed system for best shifting but Shimano XT also works very well. Remember, putting on a new derailleur, cables and shifters can work just as bad as your old parts if you have a bent hanger or you don't adjust them properly. Sounds like you may need to let the LBS do this for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatier314 View Post
    no something is ****ed! just spent an hour trying to tune it and lost the top three gears on the back der. only one set screw for the stupid thing works and if u cant tell im frustrated as hell. its almost worth new ones what kind of shifters and derailers can i get for under 250 ?
    Find someone w/experience to guide you, or to make the repairs for you. We can tell, you are frustrated, and frustration works against one's ability to problem-solve.

You might indeed need new parts. But reading your posts leaves me in doubt about your ability to correctly diagnose the problems with your bike. You could easily throw that $250 at new parts and still have trouble. IMHO: Go to a shop, or find a local friend with some experience.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    no that you say it I do have a heavily modified derailleur hanger because mine broke up in Algonquin park so we gridded one to make it fit. I guess I should call my lbs and order one... and I also think there is something bent on my der. as well because when I had the normal hanger on i moved the der to the side and everything was way smoother. Thats actually how I broke the hanger trying to straighten the der.

So as of right now I am thinking of redoing the whole drive train with all sram x9 parts (with the exception of the front crank) all give u the models and let me know if there are any good.
    I looked on mtbr for some of it but there wasnt much :S

sram pc-1031 chain(10-spd chain) , Sram PG-1070 Cassette 10 speed, sram x9 2x10 shifters, and this sram x9 front der. im not too sure on it tho check it out please.. ****************oLi7n5

for the post above yes it does! But you gave to see these shifters they make miss shift from inside of them so im 90% i absolutely need need new shifters or they need to be rebuilt...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Alright I got it to shift. As I got it I noticed the chain wasn't sitting on the cassette right so either the cassette is worn out or the chain should I replace both or just the chain ?

Hi.
    No. Instead of spending $250 on new parts, you should really just take it to a bike shop. I've tried helping as much as I can, and nobody else will really be able to tell you anything without looking at it.

It could be worn out, or it could be just simply misadjusted. Before you dump a ton of money into it, take it into a bike shop!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Im gonna lead towards worn out its a 2006 with all stock parts but I'll take it in. Thanks a lot

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Im gonna lead towards worn out its a 2006 with all stock parts but I'll take it in. Thanks a lot
    Get the proper hanger (you GRIDDED one? ) and have it aligned. That is probably 90% of your rear shifti issue.
    Change the cables AND housings.
    The stock derailleurs for your bike are not Saint and XT but that should not matter. Very unlikely they are worn out, though the RD could be bent.
    The shifters likely just need to be flushed and lubed.
    Have somebody else do the work.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yea was the only thing we could do in the middle of nowhere.
    I know the shifters are garbage because it misses when i go to shift up

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yea was the only thing we could do in the middle of nowhere.
    I know the shifters are garbage because it misses when i go to shift up
    :nono
    Read what Shiggy posted and just do it.