mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Shifter upgrade.. LX to XT?

Waiting on a 2007 Stumpy Elite with XTR RD and LX FD. I am putting to gether the Christmas list and was looking to see if a good upgrade would be to chnage out the shifters to XT rapidfires from the LX or if this is a stupid upgrade.

I can't wait to get the bike. Shoudl get it in a few days.

Any other good upgrades to ask for Christmas?

Sorry if this has been discussed already...

tom

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think it depends on your shifting preference. The LX is going to be a thumb/trigger shifter as is the older style XT. The newer XT is a thumb/thumb and trigger all in on. Do you need to switch the shifters? Probably not. If you want to upgrade to the XT go for it.

Other things to consider are that you will likely want to change out the saddle, maybe the grips, and possible the stem for a better fit.

my .02

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i'm pretty finicky about shifters. i definitely prefer XT over LX shifters due to the smoother action over time (XT uses ball bearings while LX uses bushings). i don't like the 2007 XT (760) shifters much since they have very light action with little feedback as you shift multiple gears. 2008 XT (770) are very nice. your LBS should switch them out at time of purchase for only a small price difference.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    XT over LX definitely.

But have you considered SRAM Attack (Shimano compatible) shifters? Lighter, cheaper, intuitive, idiot-proof and bomb-proof. I have two bikes, one with Shimano XTR dual control shifters and one with SRAM twist shifters. For my money, I'd go with SRAM. If it's someone else's money, go top shelf !
    Last edited by Don Duende; 11-17-2007 at 09:56 PM.