mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Shifter info Needed Shimano Rapid Fire

Ok I am trying to figure out what bike I want and need to figure out what shifter I want to get and stay away from. I currently have a LX setup form about 1994 so I am pretty outdated. I looked a couple years ago and some shifters triggers had a one piece lever. Im saying both the triggers was a solid piece of plastic not two seperate trigers. I am considering the http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ALP-450-Details.html Ibex 450 for $399
    Shimano Alivio shifters. Question is is this what I am trying to stay away from? or was that an ever cheaper model I am talking about? Also can I swap out a better shifter If I wanted to and it work with the Shimano Deore Rear Derailleur? Also a LX setup from 1994 how would that compare quality wise to the offerings today?

Yasco
    May 2006
    I ride Alpine 450 for 2 years and Alivio shifters were working great. I would be more concerned about the front derailleur, which is tricky to tune. Once I adjusted it correctly and changed derailleur cables to SRAM teflon after 1 year, everything works without a problem.
    Under $400 this bike is excellent value. If you can spend $200 more, go with Alpine 650, better brakes, fork, derailleurs etc. Otherwise, enjoy the ride
    It is recommended to contact Ibex (Jack) for proper frame sizing. I'm 5'9" and 17" frame works great.