mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Shift indicator reads backwards

Using '03 Shimano Deore trigger shifters and they seem backwards to me.

When I'm in the large front ring (right most gear when seated on the bike), the red indicator is way left.

Same goes for rear shifter. When in largest (left most) rear cog, the red indicator is fully to the right.

What gives?

mtbr member
    The way shimano displays are, when the cable is released the indicator is to the inside, and when the cable is pulled it's to the outside. Some shimano shifter displays have the numbers on them some don't and just have lines.

So for the front, when the cable is released that is the lowest gear (small ring) so the indicator will be to the inside or the right.

For the rear derailleur, when the cable is releaseed it's in the highest gear (small ring) so the indicator will be to the inside or left. If you were using a rapid rise rear derailleur it would be the opposite.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I dunno maybe its just me that it seems silly the way it currently is.

I would think the red indicator should represent where the chain currently is while sitting on the bike.

Only time that actually happens now is when I'm in the middle/middle gear selection.

So switching to rapid rise would fix the rear but is there a rapid rise frt derailleur available too? Or are there shifters that read the other direction?

thecentralscrutinizer
    remove the indicators.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Seriously this is a big non-issue. I removed the displays off my sifters since I never looked at them anyway. If this is such a big issue, get a set of SRAM Rocket or Attack shifters, their display works different.

Meh.
    If you have a rapid rise, get a normal derailleur (or vice versa) to make the rear indicator go the "right" way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolbiker
    Seriously this is a big non-issue. I removed the displays off my sifters since I never looked at them anyway. If this is such a big issue, get a set of SRAM Rocket or Attack shifters, their display works different.
    Non-issue, true enough cause we are smart enough to figure things out but what engineer or design team thought this was the 'smart' way to make the indicators work? It doesn't make sense.

It's kinda like making a TV remote up arrow button cause the TV to decrease in channel number.

mtbr member
    Its easy to see why they did it that way. The indicator moves the same direction that the cable moves. The cable basically gets pulled around a big pulley. They just slap an indicator on the pulley and there you go. It would be a bit more difficult to make the indicator go the opposite direction. Why add additional complexity and weight for no good reason.