mtbr member
    May 2006

Shadow RD, hype or all that?

So, rocky section of trail, clunk snap and I've sheared my derailer hanger. Perfect timing as I'd just had a chat at my LBS about singlespeed. This is why I carry a chain tool and pins on remote rides, so I convert my bike to a 5" SS and still make it to work on time.

Well it looks like the derailer is just fine, so I don't NEED to replace it, then again, my riding is taking me to more of this stuff, Soooo, how do people feel about the Shadow or some other low profile RD??
    thanks

Live Free or Ride!
    Mine works great. Does it still get hit? Sure. Maybe not quite as much as it is tucked up and towards the cassette, but it still takes hits.
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    check out the new saint shadow, same design, beefier and a stronger spring
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    check out the new saint shadow, same design, beefier and a stronger spring
    Oh wow, that stronger spring on that Saint sure feels nice. I almost want to go back as use Shimano's stuff again.
    The Shadow RD does have a nice low profile design (width wise) that should help keep you out of trouuble with the rocks and overhang.

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by outlierrn
    So, rocky section of trail, clunk snap and I've sheared my derailer hanger. Perfect timing as I'd just had a chat at my LBS about singlespeed. This is why I carry a chain tool and pins on remote rides, so I convert my bike to a 5" SS and still make it to work on time.

Well it looks like the derailer is just fine, so I don't NEED to replace it, then again, my riding is taking me to more of this stuff, Soooo, how do people feel about the Shadow or some other low profile RD??
    thanks
    Hype, in my opinion. The low profile is nice, but the problem is that when they do take a hit, they seem to be much weaker than the normal derailleurs. That mounting tab is really thin compared to a normal der. I've seen several bend there and a few that have broken clear though at the tab (some of those without even bending the der. hanger on the frame). I've been seeing more damaged Shadow derailleurs coming through the shop than standard ones.
    Larry
    www.mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hype! I got one on my new bike and decided to keep it to see for myself. It shifts like crap too. Not as nice as the rapid rise I was using before. I don't know much about the saint. IT is supposed to be for downhill use. I have never seen one in person. No DH here. We only have big hills in Baltimore.

mtbr member

Good job!

I've had good luck with my XT shadow derailleur. I snagged a branch with it, bent a dropout, and it did not require adjustment after replacing the hanger. I'm not sure if it is necessarily better than a standard derailleur, but I like the feel and it has proven to be durable.

I changed the cable routing after taking this photo; the breezer dropout was cutting into the housing so I routed it behind the seat stay. The new routing works well and leaves very little cable exposed.

Dave
    Blog / Strava

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama
    Hype, in my opinion. The low profile is nice, but the problem is that when they do take a hit, they seem to be much weaker than the normal derailleurs. That mounting tab is really thin compared to a normal der. I've seen several bend there and a few that have broken clear though at the tab (some of those without even bending the der. hanger on the frame). I've been seeing more damaged Shadow derailleurs coming through the shop than standard ones.
    Larry
    www.mtnhighcyclery.com
    I dont know if Id call hype
    it does have a lower profile, gets rid of the cable loop, cannot smack the chainstay, has a stronger spring.
    Is it bullet proof ? no you can damage it, and I agree the body is a bit weaker than conventional ( or is it because the got rid of the second pivot and now it bends instead of moving) but you're less likely to catch it on something
    I would say if you ocasionally smack your deraillier it will be good for you
    if you constantly bash yours, then maybe a singlespeed is in your future

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mlepito
    Hype! I got one on my new bike and decided to keep it to see for myself. It shifts like crap too. Not as nice as the rapid rise I was using before. I don't know much about the saint. IT is supposed to be for downhill use. I have never seen one in person. No DH here. We only have big hills in Baltimore.
    why is it for DH? I dont ride DH and it works great , only slightly heavier then the xt, way stronger. I did like my Rapid rise but I like the lower profile of the shadow better

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    why is it for DH? I dont ride DH and it works great , only slightly heavier then the xt, way stronger. I did like my Rapid rise but I like the lower profile of the shadow better

I think he was referring to the Saint as DH. Doesn't the Saint require a differrent mount?

Thanks all, ther RD was kinda dodgy today, on my first ride after replacing the hanger. I may NEED a new derailer after all.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by outlierrn
    I think he was referring to the Saint as DH. Doesn't the Saint require a differrent mount?

Thanks all, ther RD was kinda dodgy today, on my first ride after replacing the hanger. I may NEED a new derailer after all.
    not the 09 they changed it to dropout mount