Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    61

    sh 55 multi release cleats on M540 pedals?

    I've been using SH-55 multi-release cleats for over 10years now on M535, M515 pedals. The cleats and the M535 pedals have been great (still have and usse my M535 bought in 1994). However, I find that my new M535 (bought at clearance) doesn't release as well in mud. I'd like to try the mud-friendlier M540 but was worried about the compatability with the sh55 multi-release cleats. I know they recommend the sh56 but are they any different from the old sh55?

    Anybody out there using Sh55 cleats on M540 or M959 pedals?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Natural body armor
    Reputation: Zen_Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,149

    I have the same question

    Quote Originally Posted by gooseguy
    I've been using SH-55 multi-release cleats for over 10years now on M535, M515 pedals. The cleats and the M535 pedals have been great (still have and usse my M535 bought in 1994). However, I find that my new M535 (bought at clearance) doesn't release as well in mud. I'd like to try the mud-friendlier M540 but was worried about the compatability with the sh55 multi-release cleats. I know they recommend the sh56 but are they any different from the old sh55?

    Anybody out there using Sh55 cleats on M540 or M959 pedals?

    Thanks.
    does anybody know the difference between SH55 and SH56?
    Would SH55 work ok on M540?

    Thanks!
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    117
    I've heard great success from ppl on the web using SH-55 with the M520/540/959 but Shimano on the manual recommends using only the single release SH-51 as the multi-release SH-55 would not have enough clamping force to stay on the pedal. I personally have not seen SH-56 on sale anywhere, probably it's discontinued.

    I've always used SH-51 and I've owned a pair of 520 and 2 pairs of 959, and the combo works great I can even get unclipped at the last minute during a few emergency situations b4.

  4. #4
    Chrome Toaster
    Reputation: Hecubus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,850
    It should work fine but the SH-56 is probably better optimized to take advantage of the improved design of the newer SPD jaws.

  5. #5
    Chrome Toaster
    Reputation: Hecubus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,850
    Quote Originally Posted by krayzie
    I personally have not seen SH-56 on sale anywhere, probably it's discontinued.
    I don't think thats the case. Multi release jaws are not as popular so they are not widely available. The 56 is desgined specifically for teh newer pedals so I don't think they would discontinue it.

  6. #6
    Natural body armor
    Reputation: Zen_Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,149

    I'll let you know soon...

    Quote Originally Posted by Hecubus
    It should work fine but the SH-56 is probably better optimized to take advantage of the improved design of the newer SPD jaws.
    I'm buying a pair of M540 and using it with my SH-55 cleats...

    So far I've used both 55 and 51 with a pair of old M505 and I can definitely tell the difference.
    I always had kneed problems and an immediate release, expecially in hairy situations it's very important to me.
    On the other hand I never had unexpected releases with the SH-55...
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •