mtbr member
    Aug 2004

screwed up and ordered 8 speed chain rings

my new blackspire chain rings just arrived today.
    the problem is that they are marked for 8 speed drivetrains, not 9 speed. i didn't catch my mistake when i pulled the trigger.
    can i use these anyway, or do i need to return and get the 9 speed super pro rings?
    i 've got an xt 9 speed setup.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Yup, They'll Work

Basically any chainring will work with any drivetrain setup.
    I ran 6/7 spd chainrings from the mid 80's with a 10 spd chain 2 weekends ago in a race and it worked like a charm. The difference in thickness is minimal. The numbers stamped on them is mostly a marketing ploy.
    Heck, even shimano said you didnt chave to swap out chainrings when they intorduced 9spd and the 9spd upgrade kits.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Welcome back brother

Now all you need is an 8 speed cassette, 8 speed shifter and a stronger, wider 8 speed chain. What happened was you subconsious prevailed against the narrow-spaced insanity.
    Bankrupt the terrorists: commute by bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

8 spd rings

Hey there. I agree 8 speed rings will work with a 9 spd chain. But was wondering are they 4 bolt or 5 bolt, compact 44x32x22 or standard 46x36x26 rings? I ask because I have new black 4 bolt (104mm) 9 speed Full Speed Ahead rings I would trade you for the 8 speed black spires. I run mostly 8 speed. Thanks - Scott (bikelife2003@optonline.net)