mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Scott Genius Carbon frame adding ISCG

Dear readers. I've searched the forums trying to solve a little personal riddle: I want ISCG03 or ISCG05 tabs on my Scott Genius Carbon frame.

Facts:
    - 2012 model
    - Originally a Scott Genius 30
    - No ISCG tabs
    - BB73 (english threads)

Guesses:
    - I think its a aluminium shell wrapped with carbon layers.

Questions:
    - The bottom bracket shell is not 73mm. Its in fact 74.5mm meaning I have an issue adding a BB-adapter (for ISCG tabs) because the shell + 2.5mm width of adapter ends up with more than a typical Bottom Bracket would allow. This results in rubbing between chain rings and the adapter. Is it possible to flatten/reduce the bottom bracket on a carbon-frame? It will end in me removing some aluminium and some carbon.

- If I get hold of a smaller adapter or manage to remove some of my bottom bracket, can I weld the adapter tight to the bottom bracket shell without harming the carbon? (Thinking of aluminium expanding when heated and carbon not)

- Have anyone of you actually mounted/welded ISCG tabs to a carbon frame (given the bottom bracket shell containing aluminium or other weldable material)

Thanks for reading

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    1) It's possible, if there is aluminum protruding from the carbon overlay. You may be able to remove some material from both sides if enough is present, and there is clearance for your cranks on both sides.

2) Almost definitely not. You are around 1k degrees with regards to welding, which would almost certainly melt the resin in the carbon. A second, non-pretty side effect to welding aluminum is that without heat treatment, you will wind up with weaker material than you started with.

3) Not that I know of.

Also, do you have a threaded bottom bracket, or a press fit?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    its a BB73 with english treads, and thanks for the reply

mtbr member
    This is an easy fix. Sell your Scott Genius and buy a Santa Cruz Nomad C. The ISCG tabs are already there for you

All kidding aside, Scott put a lot of R&D into that frame. Someone sat at a computer and aligned carbon thread direction, layup, material thickness and a whole lot of other engineering things to make that frame what it is. The second you try to modify it, you'll end up with a worthless, most likely broken frame.

Get a bottom bracket mounted chainguide, or one of the new shadow+ Shimano rear derailleurs to keep your chain on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    You're a lot closer to the reality than you might think kubikeman I've been looking into that Nomad C frame. It's a beauty

Problem is the width of the bottom bracket shell. I've tried a lot of chainguides and they all rub. Second issue is the fact that I'd love a hammerschmidt :P
    A day in the mountains with a bike is like paradise only better

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nyzeta View Post
    You're a lot closer to the reality than you might think kubikeman I've been looking into that Nomad C frame. It's a beauty

Problem is the width of the bottom bracket shell. I've tried a lot of chainguides and they all rub. Second issue is the fact that I'd love a hammerschmidt :P
    Always happy to help