mtbr member
    Mar 2007

School Me on Cranksets

Currently Running some entry level TruVativ 22/32/42T 175mm cranks that came stock on my bike. 8 Speed setup. Shimano XT rear, Acera Front, and a no name Cassette...

Curious what I should look for when shopping for cranks, compatibility issues etc...

Thanks in Advance.

Brant-C.
    shimano lx for durability. not expensive. pretty tough. but on the heavy side. I've had my setup since 91 and have only replaced the BB twice. square taper BB with lx cranks. just upgraded to 9 spd a month ago. the chainrings have only been replaced once.
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

Brant-C.
    for compatilbiity issues...you'll have to take your bike to a LBS since there are so many types to make sure you get the right one unless you have lots of patience and good ingenuity. You will also need to get the specs on your bike from the manufacturer to know what size came on your bike.
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

Why do you need to change cranksets? While you can spend a lot of money getting lighter and prettier ones, they'll still function the same. If you do want to keep going, know what the bottom bracket shell measurement of your bike is (68 or 73mm) and when you buy the crankset, buy the matching bottom bracket (your old one may work with your new crankset, but it may not depending on which model you buy). If you want to do a bit of reading on crankset details, try starting here and reading the associated links http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_cn-z.html#crankset
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique