mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well Santa broke my crank!

I was really happy after I found out that Santa brought me new FSA K-Force crank.
    I was playing w/ it all day long and dreaming about putting them on my new bike but yesterday I have found out that there is a crack in the carbon fibre shell right next to the pedal thread. When I tap the area above the crack I can hear that it's "chipped" about 2cm from the thread. I think that the pedal thread is an eyelet that is locked inside by the carbon fibre so this crack would probably cause failure down the road.

I'm bit sad about it as it's a present, but I hope that there will be no problem to replace it. I can wait to put them on the bike.

mtbr member
    So I was told to go ahead and install it, in the mean time they will get in touch w/ FSA and see if they can get me replacement. I just hope it will not fail in a descent - that would hurt.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by pecka
    So I was told to go ahead and install it, in the mean time they will get in touch w/ FSA and see if they can get me replacement. I just hope it will not fail in a descent - that would hurt.
    Cant see a cracl in the pic. My experiance with C/F wheels in the moto industry is if the crack does'nt go through not to worry. Me if my C/F anything has a crack or chip i want a new one. As long as your LBS saw the crack beffor they said install it you may not have a problem. Then it will be up to FSA to make a final discisihon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Cant see a cracl in the pic. My experiance with C/F wheels in the moto industry is if the crack does'nt go through not to worry. Me if my C/F anything has a crack or chip i want a new one. As long as your LBS saw the crack beffor they said install it you may not have a problem. Then it will be up to FSA to make a final discisihon.
    The crack is in the "grey area" right above the pedal thread - it's parallel with the C/F layers.
    I hope FSA will replace it as it's brand new.

meh....
    The crack is in the "grey area" right above the pedal thread - it's parallel with the C/F layers.
    I hope FSA will replace it as it's brand new.
    A better description would be that it's a "delamination". If you are describing the problem to someone with knowledge of composites they'll know what you are talking about quicker and easier. Good luck with the replacement.

Monte

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Monte
    A better description would be that it's a "delamination". If you are describing the problem to someone with knowledge of composites they'll know what you are talking about quicker and easier. Good luck with the replacement.

Monte
    Yeah, that's it a delamination, thanks for the info.

ride hard take risks
    Yeah, that's it a delamination, thanks for the info.
    See it now!!! Make shure the LBS saw it beffor you install, i know you said they told you to but if they didnt see the Delamination you bight be screwed . Better to be safe than sorry.

Chrome Toaster
    I see it. Yeah it looks like the layers are comming apart. It might be nothing but you should still get it replaced to be safe. Maybe send the pic to someone at FSA to see what they think? The threaded pedal insert is probably the most common point of failure on carbon cranks. I don't hear about it much anymore but when carbon cranks were newer you'd hear a lot of stories of the inserts comming loose in the crank arm.