Ride steel, stay hairy.

Salsa Fargo - SRAM Apex shifter + MTB cranks, which front derailleur?

I'm building up a 2011 Salsa Fargo frame and I'm having issues nutting out compatible front derailleur/crank combos. The Fargo needs a bottom pull front derailleur with a 28.6mm clamp.

I'm looking to run the current model SRAM Apex shifters (2x10) with a Truvativ Stylo double crankset (granny ring and bashguard removed) with a 34 tooth middle ring and a 44 tooth outter ring.

I need to find a SRAM compatable 28.6mm clamp front derailleur that will throw far enough to reach the 44 tooth outter ring. A search of online stores is proving fruitless and I need some help sourcing an appropriate derailleur. Can anyone suggest a shim/derailleur combo that would work?

A SRAM Apex front derailleur won't throw far enough to work with my Truvativ Stylo crankset, and if I switch to an SRAM Apex compact crankset (50/34 tooth) the 50 tooth ring tags the chainstay.

Help?
    www.bottlesandchains.com
    'ride local, drink global'

Rub it............
    You might want to cross post this over on the sister site www.roadbikereview.com as well.

I'm going to suggest just using a triple front MTB derailleur in the appropriate pull, and use a shim/spacer under the clamp and you will also need an in-line barrel adjuster for fine tuning.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Can you swap the 50T for a 44T ring on the Compact and have clearance? Seems that would be the best solution.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by bdstorer
    I'm building up a 2011 Salsa Fargo frame and I'm having issues nutting out compatible front derailleur/crank combos. The Fargo needs a bottom pull front derailleur with a 28.6mm clamp.

I'm looking to run the current model SRAM Apex shifters (2x10) with a Truvativ Stylo double crankset (granny ring and bashguard removed) with a 34 tooth middle ring and a 44 tooth outter ring.

I need to find a SRAM compatable 28.6mm clamp front derailleur that will throw far enough to reach the 44 tooth outter ring. A search of online stores is proving fruitless and I need some help sourcing an appropriate derailleur. Can anyone suggest a shim/derailleur combo that would work?

A SRAM Apex front derailleur won't throw far enough to work with my Truvativ Stylo crankset, and if I switch to an SRAM Apex compact crankset (50/34 tooth) the 50 tooth ring tags the chainstay.

Help?
    The complete Fargo uses a SRAM X-7 (2x10) FD with Apex levers.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Rub it............
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy

But not with a triple with the granny gear removed. IIRC, on the 2x10, the chain rings are a tad bit more inboard. Not saying the 2x10 FD won't work at all, but just trying to think out loud here.

Ride steel, stay hairy.
    Quote Originally Posted by kdiddy
    Can you swap the 50T for a 44T ring on the Compact and have clearance? Seems that would be the best solution.
    I'll have a look tonight and see if the a smaller outter ring would work without tagging the chainstays. ...so obvious a solution that I hadn't thought of it. ....probably because I don't have any compact chainrings in the spare parts bin.

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Shiggy do you know which X7 derailleur it comes stock with? High clamp? Low? and is it a 28.6mm clamp or shimmed?

Cheers for the replies!
    www.bottlesandchains.com
    'ride local, drink global'

I'll have a look tonight and see if the a smaller outter ring would work without tagging the chainstays. ...so obvious a solution that I hadn't thought of it. ....probably because I don't have any compact chainrings in the spare parts bin.

Shiggy do you know which X7 derailleur it comes stock with? High clamp? Low? and is it a 28.6mm clamp or shimmed?

Cheers for the replies!
    I simply looked at the specs on the Salsa site. You can, too.
    mtbtires.com

Cheers for the replies!
    Apex "compact" is simply the old MTB "standard". 110mm BCD
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    The fargo has a 73mm bottom bracket shell.. a apex crankset is not compatible with a 73mm shell.

Your crank arms won't stay on only fits a 68mm shell.

Ballstein Models
    Yeah, be careful with road cranks on a Fargo. I did it last spring and got it to work. It involved a BFH and some chain stay reshaping.... Minimal clearance but it worked. Ultimately I got rid of the Fargo frame and replaced it with a Vaya since that was more in line with how I used that bike.

The source for mountain biking information in the Madison Wisconsin Area:

Capital Off Road Pathfinders

mtbr member
    you need a 2x10 MTB crankset, not apex and not your triple, for optimal results. you then would use a double MTB FD as well. it would all work perfectly, just as the Fargo complete bike does.

if you are interested in trying to rig something together, then reply #2 is correct. only a triple FD will move enough to throw all the way to the big ring. presumbably with enough tension you can make the apex shifter actuate between the big and middle rings.