mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Saint SS rear mech. Double chainring compatibilty?

After breaking two 'long cage' XTR RDs in 5 months I'm looking for a shorter and stronger RD. Saint 810 is the candidate, but I donīt know if the short cage version will work with a double (22/32) chainring setup and 11/34 cog? (it`s a hardtail)

thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I've not tried it but the SS only has a 23t capacity and you've used all that in your cassette. I'd go with the GS if that is an option. I'm looking at doing the same thing after tweaking my brand-new X.9. Thinking about Saint or XT Shadow to get things tucked in as tight as possible.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by genci
    After breaking two 'long cage' XTR RDs in 5 months I'm looking for a shorter and stronger RD. Saint 810 is the candidate, but I donīt know if the short cage version will work with a double (22/32) chainring setup and 11/34 cog? (it`s a hardtail)

thanks
    Ive had the 810 shadow gs for about 2 years on the same gear setup, its tucked up tight . Ive never had any issues
    its alot shorter than the long cage xtr
    much stronger than the xt or xtr shadows

g3h6o3
    Short answer is no it won't.

Long answer is here : When to use a Long Cage vs Short Cage Derailleur?
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    OK. I've ordered the GS.
    It's almost the same price as the XTR but I think It'll last more. I donīt want to spend more $ on rear mechs that on any other part of my bike.

Thanks