mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Saint Shifting Problems

Hey,

I've just moved all my parts over to a new frame.

the problem is no matter how hard i try i cant get the rear mech set up correctly. This is frustrating cause it worked perfectly before.

I've got a saint M810 rear mech, with the lower limit screw set correctly, with the cable fully tensioned i can get it to shift up the first couple of cogs ok. then the third is an issue as it wont jump up. then trying to change back down again it wont.

I've changed the inner cable and checked its moving smoothly, there is no excess play in the mech, the cassette and chain are both in good condition, and nothing appears to be bent.

Any ideas what the problem could be? cheers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    bent hanger

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yeah, have the hanger checked (you can't eyeball it unless it's really bad), and make sure the bolt(s) holding it onto the dropout haven't loosened.

The part about not shifting back down is a little weird....that would make me think you have a frayed or badly kinked cable somewhere (or possibly housing if you're running the flat-wound coil type and it got mashed). If I'm reading you right, you're talking shifting from the 11T to a couple larger cogs, where it stops and then you can't shift back down to the smaller ones? You said low limit screw....maybe you meant the high limit screw? If not, just ignore me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It's unlikely to be a bent hanger as it is a nearly new frame, i've checked the hanger with no sign of stress or bending.

regarding the limit screws.. i've adjusted both of them correctly before the chain or cables were fitted, so i know they're in roughly the correct position. I've also tweaked the H screw (one near the 11t cog) to see if moving it makes any difference.

The only real differences from swapping between frames is giving the chain a thorough clean, and shortening the outer cable to suit the frame. The cable routing is a little tighter than before.

The cassette and chain are just over a year old, but to be honest both have had light use as had been on my secondary bike over the last year.

I'm thinking its either the outer cable, or the chain.

Either that or i've totally lost my touch at tuning gears!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Did you check the hanger with "the tool"? New frame is no guarantee that the hanger is straight. I've seen them come straight out of the box from the factory with wonky hangers. They can be severely tweaked with no signs of crazed paint or metal fatigue. Regardless, hanger is just a good check that most people (and a lot of shops) never do properly, or at all...kinda doubt that it would cause this exact scenario. Anyway, only other thought is if the pulley is contacting the cog physically? Turning in the b-screw should cure that.

EDIT: Have you also eyed the derailleur to make sure nothing is stuck in there or bent, pivots move smoothly, and all that? Stumping me here. I don't think the chain would matter unless you were running 8spd on 9spd. Even a worn chain will shift ok on the stand. Short housing is usually fine unless it gives you ghost shifts on a full suss frame design.

I've seen some Deore and Alivo shifters that had this problem...never could figure out why because even on disassembly they seemed to be working properly. Everything LX and up seems to work great all the time. The Deores seemed to have a habit of the shaft nut working loose or the grease getting sticky...sometimes (lightly) snugging that nut helped, or a blast of tri-flow in the body. Since every other item was perfect in the system we just replaced shifters for those 2 of those 3 guys and it worked. Running '09 Saint now myself and it's been flawless.

What frame are you working with?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Cheers for the thoughts crankenator. I'll look into it a bit more this evening when i'm back from work. It is frustrating though, as i've must have adjusted hundreds of sets of gears, but never come across this issue. What's the bet its something really simple.

but yeah the saint stuff had been running flawlessly for me.

I've just bought a used Intense Slopestyle frame. Just a few months old but immaculate condition. I really hope it isnt the hanger, as those things cost over 100 for that bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Sweet ride! Let us know when you figure it out.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by sean_designer
    It's unlikely to be a bent hanger as it is a nearly new frame, i've checked the hanger with no sign of stress or bending.

regarding the limit screws.. i've adjusted both of them correctly before the chain or cables were fitted, so i know they're in roughly the correct position. I've also tweaked the H screw (one near the 11t cog) to see if moving it makes any difference.

The only real differences from swapping between frames is giving the chain a thorough clean, and shortening the outer cable to suit the frame. The cable routing is a little tighter than before.

The cassette and chain are just over a year old, but to be honest both have had light use as had been on my secondary bike over the last year.

I'm thinking its either the outer cable, or the chain.

Either that or i've totally lost my touch at tuning gears!
    "New" does not mean the hanger is properly aligned. Few are straight right out of the box.

Reusing cables and housing is a false economy. Replacing them will probably fix most of your problem even if the hanger is off.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by sean_designer
    ...I really hope it isnt the hanger, as those things cost over 100 for that bike.
    Align, not replace. Even a new hanger can be, and often is, off.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hi, I have just fitted the same mech M810 saint medium cage. Set up is an XT TRIPLE chain set (44 / 32 / 22) with 11-34 cassette. This is an upgrade from XT (long cage). Have NOT changed any other components (excepting new cable). Mine is fitted WITH the mode converter. First thing MAKE ABSOLUTLY SURE that the mode converter is TIGHT to the drop out. When screwing the mech into the hanger it naturally tries to move away in which case it screws the shifting mid cassette. SECOND I found that setting the mech to shift through ALL 9 gears WITHOUT the rear wheel in place (i.e adjust the H/L settings before fitting the wheel) made final adjustment much easier. Then everything for me was perfect, in about half an hour ish... You may find the problem is associated with the mode converter whether fitted with or without and how that is associated with the hanger. I DOUBT the hanger is faulty, I have bent hangers straight in the past with rocks trail side and still made (other) mechs work. BECAUSE the spring is SOOO much better than an XT. So start with a LOOSE cable and adjust slowly.

Once you have it working like me and no doubt others you will be DELIGHTED. By the way I have managed to get my medium cage work with the triple chain set with no hassle.