mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Saint rear derailleur worth the extra part costs over a set of XT's?

I just realized that I love the sport, I bought a low to middle end bike and it came with an alivio rear derailleur and under my heavy weight of 300 lbs it does not shift well uphill or sometimes dosent shift at all. Obviously I know that the components are low end so i figured i would build up on the frame.

My friend told me to go with a Bomb proof setup, SAINT rear derailleurs. See he runs XT and is 240 and speaks highly of them.

My current setup is an 8 spd cassette and an integrated shifting/brake pod. I could get a saint rear deraileur and a set of ryno liute rims on saint hubs for about 180, would i need to upgrade anything else at that point? Will I be ok for a couple months till i gather more money or should i buy some XT parts?

Let me know what you think, my rims are still true and i have no problem with those, I just cannot ride with this derailleur...

HELP>>

mtbr member
    couple issues:
    first, the saint hubs/rynolites/saint derailleur, combo you are refering to, I believe is disc only. Do you have disc brakes or is that going to be more money to spend? At what point is it not worth upgrading anymore (those are pretty pricey parts to putting on a frame that came with Alivo).

If I where in that situation I'd get an LX or even deore derailleur, which will work about as well as XT and save the rest of the money for a new bike when the time comes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules
    couple issues:
    first, the saint hubs/rynolites/saint derailleur, combo you are refering to, I believe is disc only. Do you have disc brakes or is that going to be more money to spend?
    I do have Disc Brakes, as i said above bought a low/mid level bike for $400 to see if i would like the sport.

...idios...
    The XT is a great mech, lightweight and with a better spring-rate than all the mechs below it on the Shimano scale. The strength of the Saint has more to do with its ability to withstand impact, rather than iron out the faults in your shifting. If you can't get into the correct gear before an incline, you need to learn to be able to ease off your pressure on the cranks to enable a clean shift when going uphill. Of course, a fast-acting mech will help you, but ultimately it comes down to technique.
    Your cables and shifter are more responsible for crisp shifting than your derailleur. An XT or Saint shifter will get the best out of your Alivio mech, but you won't get the best from an XT or Saint if you're still using an Alivio (or comparable) shifter. A decent set of compressionless cables will also make an enormous difference to shifter/derailleur response.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    I wouldn't spend any more money on that bike. It's just going to be constant replacing of parts until the frame breaks. I would sell it or keep it as a spare to loan out to friends who want to try the sport.

You should get your self a bike that is designed for someone your size. Like the Kona Hoss.
    http://www.konaworld.com/bikes/2k7/H...UXE/index.html

mtbr member
    north shore billet do a much better hanger,and hanger banger if needed as i ran xt and it improved my shifting quite a bit.

but i would also look into a new bike,like mentioned above,but saint sure is sweet.