What's the Hurry?

Saint and Hone users

Hi all,

EDIT....Ok, I should have done the (re)search first have found a lot of info that makes me think this might work, would love opinions from people who have done this, cheers .../EDIT

I have a few questions i hope you can help me with....

I have a SS frame with EBB and at the moment i have a 9sp rear wheel with SS conversion kit. The frame has no mech hanger and vert drop outs.

I need new wheels (no, honestly I do "need" new wheels), and seeing as i am happy to run a converted 9sp hub for SS use, would it be possible to run a Hone/Saint rear mech/hub as a 1x9 when hangin' with the gear heads in summer and then remove rear mech and use a track nut or similar to secure the r/h side of the hub for SS use (with conversion kit and shorter chain) in the winter?

I believe the Saint/Hone hub has a 10mm axle and looking at pics of the hubs it seems that the axle is just a longer solid axle to accomodate the rear mech. Is it possible that a spare left hand nut would work on the right side when the mech was not being used? Does this hub have a strange thread or is it standard solid axle size?

thanks in advance
    David
    Last edited by AnotherWingnut; 02-16-2006 at 07:49 AM.
    What are we going to do tonight, Brain? Same thing we do every night, Pinky, try to take over the world

mtbr member
    The Hone has a solid 10mm axle, you can use a standard 10mm track nut on the derailleur side. The axle will stick out a fair bit, it's pretty long. I have not had a chance to play with the Saint yet, but it appears to have a 10mm removable axle, so you can use the same nut.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Easy Fix

I've got the saint hubs as my spare wheel set and switch between the xt & saint derailer. All you need is a thick 10mm washer and 10mm x 1.0 thread nut and you too can have the choices between the wheel set or derailer set ups. Have fun!

What's the Hurry?

Thanx Lads...

Thats music to my ears, one set of wheels does it all and a quick setup/swapover time with a bar end shifter to boot...thanx again for the info....David
    What are we going to do tonight, Brain? Same thing we do every night, Pinky, try to take over the world