mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Saint double crankset-Titus Quasi chainslap. Need ideas

I have a Saint double crankset on a Titus Quasimoto 03. The chain slap in unbearably loud going downhill. Does the double crankset convert to a triple somehow, can I run a bigger middle ring than the stock 32 tooth, or do I need to approach it from a different angle and either buy a new triple crankset with a big ring to keep the tension greater. Also, I remember the guys at Titus mentioning something about reversing the rear der. B tension screw and shortening the rear der. cable housing and maybe the chain. Any ideas? Anybody want to swap for a triple chainring Saint or xtr or other nice triple crankset? Thanks in advance. My direct email is d.massie@juno.com.

Do It Yourself
    Is your chain setup for a double? You should wrap it around the "middle" ring and the big cog without the derailleur and add 1" (i.e. one set of inner and outer links). You probably need to reverse the b-tension screw as well but that's a separate issue. You probably want to wrap your chainstay with hockey tape or an old tube with electrical tape around it or just buy a jumbo Lizardskin. You might think about a short cage derailleur too.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

I have the jumbo lizard skin but.....

if I leave the chain in a smaller cog in back where I run a 12-34, it still sounds like the bike is breaking up everytime it hits the lizard skin. So, I leave it in the 34 cog in the rear and the middle ring up front for tension and then I can't pedal when I need to because the gear isn't high enough and everyone behind me catches up and tell me to get a big ring. I appreciate your other ideas and will check into it before changing/selling the crankset. I think the bottom line though is that I might need a big chainring. Thanks, David