mtbr member

"S-Works" Cranks ???

I have a pair of Saint FC-M800 cranks+bb that i no longer needed, So i put them up on craigslist for cash or for trade for a more XC type crank. The one guy who has replied so far has offered to trade his Specialized "S-Works" cranks for my saints. The only info i could find on specialized cranks (mostly on the reviews from mtbr) was that they were total crap (crank arms breaking, cranks coming loose / taper stripping, etc). I couldn't find any info on the "S-Works" cranks though, so I figured I'd ask here. So...

1) Are these any good? I would be using them on a SS 29er with (hopefuly) a 32t ring
    2) What BCD are these? Since its 5-bolt i was thinking it was 94/58, but neither He nor I can tell.
    3) Are they worth my used Saints?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    those are about 10 years old...and pieces of junk

mtbr member
    ok, i can believe that. I'd like a few other opinions though ;D

mtbr member
    Look similar to the older Specialized Strongarm cranks - I've no experience of the S-Works example in your pic, but the Strongarm certainly weren't anything special. He's getting a better swop in my opinion. Depending on condition, why not ebay the Saints and look around for a different set.

Former Bike Wrench
    They are made by Sugino...decent cranks yes but not worth a strait trade. There is really nothing "Special" about them.

Meh.
    They're not terribly good cranks. I had the Strong Arms. They were flexy and rather heavy.

They're certainly not a fair trade for Saints.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Those are 94/58

IMHO people mainly review things to tell other people they're crap.
    How many bad reviews are there? And how many of those cranks were sold 10,000, 100,000?

Anyway. I think they're fine cranks. Nothing to write home about but certainly not crap.

Worth a trade for your cranks? That's up to you. You have cranks you're not using and need a different crank. The other person is in the same boat. Sounds like a fair trade to me. If you're worried about the "value" of the Saints sell them outright.

I trade XT and XTR parts for water bottles all the time.

Yo.
    The S-works version of the StrongArm was cold forged, whereas the regular version was melt forged, IIRC.

Personally I never had a problem with them over the 2-3 sets that were on my and my wife's bikes back in the day. I remember the 107mm BB being a little hard to come by, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Slurry
    3) Are they worth my used Saints?
    No, not a chance....he're ripping you.

A fair trade would be for a midrange XC style outboard bearing crank, or a GOOD isis setup.