dpo
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Rumblefish rear derailleur issue (sram x7)

Hi, I thought I would post here an issue I had yesterday riding before taking my ride to the LBS.
    During my ride I went up this sort of jump..about a four -5 ft. rise up to another level of terrain, not fast enough to get air, just the front end off the ground. When hitting the rise I heard a buzzing sound from the rear end, kind of a metal on metal sound. I looked the bike over well but didn't really see anything, shifting was ok, albeit a bit noisier than usual. I rode back the last 4 miles. Got home and noticed the derailleur was tweaked out of shape, In one gear it wanted to rub one of the derailleur sprockets on the cassette ( smallest gear) and figured I had hit a rock and bent it. Now that I think back though I think this happened when I went up the jump. Weird I know...but I have the Trek red shield policy and if I didnt hit a rock I want the policy to pay to replace this. I can't imagine why hitting the jump would cause a bent derailleur, unless you all have heard of this and it is a common/ uncommon occurrence.

I have only been MTB'ing for about a year and on the base model 2012 Rumblefish for about 3 mos. This is the first time I have had any issue like this...I am 52 and don't really ride fast enough to do much damage or catch mush air. Nor did I bottom out the suspension hit the rise. I have ridden over much worse without issue.

Anyway, I am pretty sure the shop will tell me I hit a rock...lol. Though I am positive I did not. I have no problem whatsoever paying for the repair...and I was just going to tell them replace it, I hit something, no big deal. However the more I think about it...the more I think it may be an issue with the bike.

local bike dr.
    Aug 2012
    Had a similar issue with an X7 a couple days ago, my son's friend brought his bike over to get it fixed... turns out it was just the tension adustment screw at the rear of the derailleur. The screw had worked out all the way and i simply tightened it back up for him, all was well. The tension screw passes thru a plastic nut and rests against a metal tab to keep the arm tensioned. Appears the plastic nut is the "weak link" in this design, so I'd make note of which size allen key it requires and keep it with you for trail adjustments in the future.