ejh
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

round vs oval cr

hello all, I have looked and didn't find anything on this, sorry if I missed it so here I go. I was wondering what if any cadence has on the affect on the efficiency with the oval rings. I am thinking an replacing the CR on my cross bike, and I am a spinner, 85-90, when racing and wondering if a round ring would be better. thanks, E

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I run one (oval) on my SS, and didn't notice any change that would be specifically caused by the different shape. I am also a spinner, and have had zero issues thusfar, and will continue to run oval's on single ring bikes.

But... others may have a different take!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ejh View Post
    hello all, I have looked and didn't find anything on this, sorry if I missed it so here I go. I was wondering what if any cadence has on the affect on the efficiency with the oval rings. I am thinking an replacing the CR on my cross bike, and I am a spinner, 85-90, when racing and wondering if a round ring would be better. thanks, E
    Hello ejh,

I our opinion oval rings have little to no advantage (or disadvantage) at high cadence. We believe very strongly in them on mountain 1X drivetrains in low cadence situations due to the increased traction they provide (Picture a punchy out-of-saddle climb). I could see this being an advantage in CX on muddy courses as well.

Over the years there have been various studies that fail to show a clear advantage in road applications.

The most recent study actually shows that your body naturally neutralizes the oval ring through increased angle movement during pedaling. This effectively returns your pedal action to that of a round ring. Study link below:

http://www.tradewindsports.net/wp-co...ax-and-max.pdf

I hope that helps,
    Jon @ OneUp

mtbr member
    I had a Wolftooth 30T oval on my 1x11 X1 setup, and ultimately sold it and returned to a round 30T. There was a weird feeling to me "coming over the top" of the crank stroke, especially at higher cadences...... It felt 'choppy'.

I'm not a spinner on climbs by any stretch, but with the 30T, I spin pretty high on some fast stretches. It just wasn't for me, and I feel way smoother at all crank speeds with a round ring.

mtbr member
    I just installed an Absolute Black 30 tooth Oval chainring on my bike last week. We did a ride yesterday that was 6 miles uphill to start. I have two observations:

1. I didn't notice any "odd" pedal stroke after about 10 seconds

2. I didn't notice any obvious advantage of having the Oval chainring on for the climb. Based on all the online hype, I expected to be able to tell some sort of difference.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I didn't notice any obvious advantage of having the Oval chainring on for the climb. Based on all the online hype, I expected to be able to tell some sort of difference.
    Pretty much sums up my experience as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    In my experience the oval is easier on the knees when grinding uphill, lower cadence. Also helps me to accelerate a lot faster compared to the round chainring. If you have a loose cling you might also notice how you keep climbing and everyone around struggles for grip. It's a small but noticeable difference. I use them on all but one of my bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I just installed an Absolute Black 30 tooth Oval chainring on my bike last week. We did a ride yesterday that was 6 miles uphill to start. I have two observations:

1. I didn't notice any "odd" pedal stroke after about 10 seconds

2. I didn't notice any obvious advantage of having the Oval chainring on for the climb. Based on all the online hype, I expected to be able to tell some sort of difference.
    2016 Transition Smuggler
    2016 TREK Fuel EX 9

mtbr member

round vs oval cr

My experience with the oval vs round is the oval is definitely better traction and smoother power at low cadence.
    Im fairly light at 145 and a strong climber, I'm also a road rider and spin a pretty good cadence of 80-90 rpm. The oval rings are not noticeable in the way of gain in the power department at a faster cadence. On the MTB I use the higher cadence spin on tempo climbs that are longer duration. When the climbs get steep and technical that's when the cadence tends to slow down and that's where I see the benefit of the oval rings.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
    I had a Wolftooth 30T oval on my 1x11 X1 setup, and ultimately sold it and returned to a round 30T. There was a weird feeling to me "coming over the top" of the crank stroke, especially at higher cadences...... It felt 'choppy'.

I'm not a spinner on climbs by any stretch, but with the 30T, I spin pretty high on some fast stretches. It just wasn't for me, and I feel way smoother at all crank speeds with a round ring.
    A 32t Oval would have been better for you ^^

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

Saving lives with knives.
    I have been running oval rings on various bikes for years. My first set was on my road bike, it was a set of rotor rings. They have lasted for 1000's of miles. The effect was subtle and I had to adjust the position several times to get it optimized. My second set was a rotor mtb triple that I had on my old 26" fango mtb. The effect was much more apparent on an mtb. I just felt faster and fresher in general. I have gone back and forth and while I am not sold on them on my road bikes I definitely notice a difference on my mtb's. I currently run a wolf tooth elliptical ring on my SS and a have an absolute black on my new Fuel EX. I really like it on my single speed as I don't think it really hurts you a higher RPMs but I definitely feel it at lower revs.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I rode the old Shimano bio pace

It worked it made granny seem easy to pedal on the steep climbs, while not reducing the high end.

Remember back then it was a 5 speed cassette with no much range.

Now I ride a wolf tooth 34, Feels about the same as the stock 30 tooth it came with, but again with a higher top end...

I have never noticed any difference in the stroke itself.

mtbr member
    I have experimented with various non round ring shapes from various manufacturers. For me, the best shape is an elliptical shape similar to Osymetric. This allows great power delivery at low cadence while also making very high cadence smooth (110 rpm). Oval rings have some of this benefit, but are a compromise. Elliptical rings I have tried are availble from Rivello Bikes and Doval. The quality of the oval rings from manufacturers like AB and Wolftooth are much better. When I ride a round ring now, I feel like my pedal stroke is very lumpy, especially at high cadence. So to answer to OP's question, I would say oval will benefit a spinner...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    A 32t Oval would have been better for you
    Possibly, but I use the 42T a ton on my terrain and I'm not spinning on most of it.... Not sure my knees - or lungs could take a 32T, be it round, square or oval!