mtbr member
    Feb 2004

rotting Gripshift covers?

I have 2 sets of Sram Attack gripshift 9-speed twist shifters. One pair gets heavy use, while the other is on my "backup bike." The shifter covers have all become very gooey to the point of falling apart. Sram told me to buy all new shifters, which I doubt that I will do. Also they are almost impossible to find these days. Anyone else have this problem? Any ghetto fix for the grip area? Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rotting Gripshift covers?-gripshift1.jpg  

mtbr member
    I have the Attack shifters, and when the original grips wore out I couldn't find anywhere that stocked just replacement grips. However, they do make replacement grips for the more expensive XO shifters so I thought I'd try these. They fit perfectly, and in fact look better and grip better especially if you have larger hands like I do. However, at $50 a pair they're nearly as much as buying a new set of shifters! Anyway, if you're interested I got mine here SRAM X0 Twister Grip | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

rotting Gripshift covers?-img_6346-800x533-.jpg

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Would 2 of these work - $9 each?
    Nice find!

However, these grips are specific to the type of shifter as there's detents moulded into the hard plastic base of the grips to match the internals of the shifter. There's three different models - microshift or 3 click for the front, and 8/9 click for the rear.

So unfortunately that particular one you linked to would only work on a microshift front shifter.

However, I have found somewhere that has all three models available for about $12 each. Bad news is they are in Germany and have a flat shipping fee of $25 so you'd need to be buying some other stuff to make it worthwhile

Rear 8/9 speed: Sram Drehteil mit Griffstück für X.0 8-/9-fach mit Index Rasterung - BIKE-COMPONENTS.DE

Front microshift: Sram Drehteil mit Griffstück für X.0 3-fach mit Micro Rasterung - BIKE-COMPONENTS.DE

Front 3 speed indexed: Sram Drehteil mit Griffstück für X.0 3-fach mit Index Rasterung - BIKE-COMPONENTS.DE

I buy a lot of bike stuff from Germany as the prices and service are great, but who knows, with a bit of searching you may be able to find someone who sells them at a similar price but a bit closer to home...

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Yep, the SRAM X0 Tornado grips work well.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PerthMTB View Post
    Nice find!

However, these grips are specific to the type of shifter as there's detents moulded into the hard plastic base of the grips to match the internals of the shifter. There's three different models - microshift or 3 click for the front, and 8/9 click for the rear.
    Sorry about the bum steer. So, next try: how about these for $20 and $18 respectively:

Sram X O Left Grip Assembly Black Mountain Shifter Parts | eBay

SRAM X.O Right 9spd Grip Assembly Black on eBay!

Tim

mtbr member
    Yep, that's more like it! Though the first one just says 'left' shifter, doesn't mention if its microshift or 3sp indexed so would need to check that before ordering...