mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Rohloff servicing

Hey guys,

I was just wondering....do any of you have any personal experience with the company "Cycle Monkey".

I have just found out that they offer servicing on rohloff hubs. My seals are gone and its leaking oil. I dont know whether I should sent the hub to them (I dont know of another shop which offers this service - if I am wrong please correct me), or send the hub straight back to Rohloff themselves. I am guessing that rohloff will take longer but it will probably cost less (still, this is only a guess).

Any experience to help me with this dilemma? I dont want second rate service but dont want to go without my bike. Any info will be Awesome!

Thanks.

Yo.
    Sorry, no direct experiece. Have heard good things about them, though.

If you haven't already, you might want to check out/cross-post in the Internal Gear Hubs sub-forum. I'm sure those dudes will be able to help you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Rohloff enjoys a good reputation and they've earned it, but the problem with sending hubs in for service is that they're built into wheels, and shipping wheels is expensive. I'd call them and see if this is serviceable by dealers, and if so try to do it locally. If not, ask if they have a USA service center.

BTW- I see you're in Austin. If dealer service is possible, Freewheeling Bicycle Shop has great mechanics and you might give them a try. Tell them the Chain-L guy sent you.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

mtbr member
    As I recall, Cycle Monkey is where the Monkey Bone (nifty after-market torque arm mount) and they are located next door (essentially) to Rohloff USA.

It's about showing up.

Cyclemonkey Booster here.

Neil Flock (Cyclemonkey) is a friend of mine. He sponsors my son on his Lenz/Rohloff. He maintains the hub, built the wheels for his other bike and set it up with a new Marta SL system. He has built 4 sets of wheels for my mountain bike racers and volunteers his time to lead rides for two high school mtb teams. His is one hell of a rider and the only guy I know who can take our varsity kids out and give them a run.

He was trained as an Engineer but his own racing and bike jones took over. He is meticulous, thorough, and consistent. I think, most importantly, he is accommodating and not the simple mechano-nazi you can find holed up behind a stand. He spends a lot of money on cool, high-quality tools (and his own bikes.) The other day he used a special tool to re-face both caliper mounts simultaneously for a good fit. It was a gorgeous $600 tool but it was what was needed. Notably, though, he never scrimps on the time it takes to do things well.

If you go to his site you will see my photography of his wheels in the Gallery:

http://www.cyclemonkey.com/index.shtml

Custom wheels, custom bike builds, lotsa german parts. Very tidy. Oh, yeah, he does the Rohloff thing very well and it is slowly making it's way under some pretty fine riders.

I am invested in this guy. Make no mistake. Take advantage of him while you can. I see him going on to design bike products, even frames. In the mean time he is an asset you need to use while he still gets his hands dirty.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Berkeley Mike; 04-02-2009 at 10:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    What can I say? Everything Berkeley Mike said is true.

I've had a set of wheels built by Neil and they are bombproof. He builds a great wheel. He's also a nice, honest guy that is passionate about what he does. I spent a long time discussing options with him and the final wheelset came out perfect.