mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Rohloff hub models and interchangeability

This hub is so darn expensive that I want it to be versatile enough to use on other bikes as I upgrade, mtn, tourer, tandem, etc. Right now, I have no disc brake equipped bike, but I may in the future. Also, depending on how much I like it, I may have a custom frame built with Rohloff OEM dropouts. Is it possible to get the disc model but also buy attachments such as the torque arm or OEM axle and use the hub interchangeably on multiple bikes? If so, where can you get them? I don't see these parts on the Rohloff site. I guess what I'm asking is, is there a difference between the different Speedhub models (besides the disc one having disc mounts) other than the axle attachment?

On MTBR hiatus :(
    The guts are essentially the same, with the exception that the bolt on version (or 'TS' model, as Rohloff refers to it) is built around an entirely different axle than all the QR versions.

For the best interchangability, get your hands on a disc brake TS version. This can be mounted in horizontal, vertical, and Rohloff-specific dropouts.

It is a relatively simple & painless process to swap between the various axle plates to either run with the ugly torque arm, the OEM axle plate, or the OEM2 axle plate that mates with the disc tab or Speedbone.

Of course, if you choose the TS model, you're stuck with a bolt on hub (or considerable cost to change to QR). If you are certain you'll never need a bolt-on application, the QR disc version will provide you the same flexibility, with the exception mounting in horizontal drops.

However, there are some creative souls out there who have managed to make their QR Speedhubs work with horizontals, despite all the forces at work that want to cause the hub to shift its position.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Hey, great! Thanks for the reply. Where can I get the torque arm and OEM plates? Even Sheldon Brown doesn't have them for sale on his Rohloff site.

ups and downs
    You can buy them from Harris Cyclery, it would just take a phone call rather than adding them to the online shopping cart. My hunch is that people find it complicated enough to get the right part that talking to a person prevents a lot of returns of the wrong parts, or helps make sure that you get all the pieces it takes to make one part work.

Quote Originally Posted by fit24hrs
    Hey, great! Thanks for the reply. Where can I get the torque arm and OEM plates?
    There should be a ready supply of torque arms here on MTBR. I've already shipped mine off to another Speedhub owner, but I'll bet others still have theirs and would be willing to part with them for free or for cheap.

As rocky suggested, a telephone call to Harris would get you what you need. So would a phone call to Thomas at Rohloff in Oakland (don't bother with emailing him - he doesn't respond).
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

No, that's not phonetic
    Yep, I'll give up my torque arm, etc. but I am leaving on a trip for about two weeks and won't be able to send anything off for a bit.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

ridin' Mary

made from unobtanium

I've been searching for a Rohloff speedhub for weeks. NONE of the distributors have them Maybe Bush called a trade embargo with Germany?

I've contacted both Harris and Speedgoat, and I'm waiting for one to become available. Too chicken to pop for such an extremely expensive item used on ebay, so I'm waiting for new.

Music & Bikes
    Also consider the external shift box , it's gonna be more flexible for you and easier to switch around different bikes. With full lenght cables , very easy.
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    I bought my first Speedhub in 1999 (QR style), and it has since be converted to disc, and had the Aftermarket, OEM-1 and OEM-2 torque arm on it. It has also been used in a horizontal wheel mount, although without discs - it held fine with a good steel QR skewer. I can't remember how many bikes its been on, but upgrading bikes and keeping your Speedhub has not been an issue with me.

The QR version is slightly lighter than the bolt on, and this is the only conversion that is not worth doing, since you have to switch out the innards, which is the hub. Other than that, for the most flexibility, I'd recommend getting the disc hub with the external shifter box.

Music & Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by OhNooo
    I've been searching for a Rohloff speedhub for weeks. NONE of the distributors have them Maybe Bush called a trade embargo with Germany?
    Check those stores:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Speedhub.aspx
    http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=30365
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...0659&category=
    http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=43646

Keep in mind that <u>all</u> "disc compatible" Speedhubs automatically come with external shifting -- there is no other way. Not wanting to confuse a new user with an option that isn't there.

itsdoable, I don't think I was aware of your success with the QR in horizontal drops. That question comes up frequently, especially from certain Santa Cruz Jackal owners.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Music & Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    Keep in mind that <u>all</u> "disc compatible" Speedhubs automatically come with external shifting -- there is no other way.

Doh!

You're right....

mtbr member
    Keep in mind that <u>all</u> "disc compatible" Speedhubs automatically come with external shifting -- there is no other way. Not wanting to confuse a new user with an option that isn't there.
    The 1st prototype disc compatible Speedhubs I saw did not use the external shifter box, but the shift cables ran very close to the rotor, and clearance depended completely on the location of the canti-mount. But as Nate says, the external shifter comes standard with the disc hub.

itsdoable, I don't think I was aware of your success with the QR in horizontal drops. That question comes up frequently, especially from certain Santa Cruz Jackal owners.
    It was a long time ago....

This was pre-OEM-2 torque arm era, but forces from the OEM-2 arm may cause problems with the wheel shifting in a horizontal mount

Note that the picture shows a chain tug on the QR, which was not really necessary.

ridin' Mary

Thanks fokof

I didn't know about Universalcycles. This is the only one of the four you mention that has the disk version in stock. The other 3 have them back-ordered or don't carry them at all. I'll contact Universalcycles and see how that goes.

P.S. I went against my word and tried to bite off on a used speedhub on the bay. It went up way too high for a used component (over 2/3 retail). Someone is willing to pay top-dollar for used, but it's not me.

Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
    Don't be afraid to call Rohloff. When I bought mine he awnsered all mine questions and was very nice to talk to.
    "Don't give up, Never give up!"

Members who have read this thread: 0