mtbr member
    May 2005

Rohloff hub and Blur VPP

I have heard that the Blur exhibits some pedal feedback when riding in the granny gear. I was wondering if this problem would be corrected, or partially corrected if you ran a Rohloff speed hub on the back with a single ring on the front? My thinking being: you get a granny gear ranged gear without ever having to shift into the chainring that causes the pedal feedback.

Any thoughts on this?

Would using a speedhub have any other advantages or disadvantages with the VPP system?

On MTBR hiatus :(
    That's my thinking.

On my dw-link Hollowpoint, I asked a similar question of the designer, Dave Weagle, and he got back to me with a range of chainring and cog combos that would best match his suspension.

However, a problem may arise if the designer intends the suspension to exhibit different behaviors in different gear combos, for instance stiffening the suspension in the granny ring.

This is a really nice attribute of the Speedhub I run on my wife's single pivot Marin, where I was able to align the chain with the main pivot to give the bike fairly neutral pedaling characteristics throughout the gear range.