mtbr member

Rohloff Guide w/ Bash?

I am leaning towards a Rohloff Guide to replace the noisy Gamut system. I did some searching on the forum, but haven't seen any definitive answers.

Can I run a Rohloff Chain Guide with a Bashguard? Is there enough room? I have the Spot Brand alum guard which is pretty thin. I am running a Salsa 32t chainring.

If not, could I just run the inside of the Rohloff and use the bash for the outside?

Thanks.

Kosher Princess

Good job!

I've never seen the Rohloff with bash guard, my Nana says, "Oy vey, not again!"

If you need a bash guard, use one in conjunction with a N-gear Jump Stop.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Generally this will not cause a problem as long as the correct BB is fitted for the optimal chain-line.

Your problem will however be that a 32T chainring is too small for the Rohloff except when using a 13t Sprocket. This sprocket is non-reversible and will require an even greater chain-line. Will your crank axle be long enough for this chainline and alow a chain guard to still be fitted???

Info to chainlines can be found in the Owners Manual from Rohloff. You can download this at: http://www.rohloff.de/uploads/media/...fo_2.13.en.pdf

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by estutjaweh
    Generally this will not cause a problem as long as the correct BB is fitted for the optimal chain-line.

Your problem will however be that a 32T chainring is too small for the Rohloff except when using a 13t Sprocket. This sprocket is non-reversible and will require an even greater chain-line. Will your crank axle be long enough for this chainline and alow a chain guard to still be fitted???

Info to chainlines can be found in the Owners Manual from Rohloff. You can download this at: http://www.rohloff.de/uploads/media/...fo_2.13.en.pdf
    Um, what? I am running a 1x9, and interested in the chain guide, not the hub.

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by xdefx
    Um, what? I am running a 1x9, and interested in the chain guide, not the hub.
    I ran a Rohloff on my 5 Spot for a season. It's been a few years, but I know I had the Rohloff guide and most likely a bashguard too. With that in mind, I don't think there would be a problem. There are spacers that allow some chainline adjustment for the guide.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Sorry, I misread the thread.

The most common probelm with using the Rohloff chain guide with a 1x9 system is that the SPEEDHUB (for which the guide is specifically designed) utilises a wider chainline than regular derailleur systems. The guide therefore comes with two long spacer bushes which are a length suitable for this wide chainline. To use the guide with a 1x8 or 1x9 set-up, these must be flexed down a little so that this can be mounted closed to the seattube.

The shape of the bashguard is then the deciding factor as to whether or not the side plate also have to be worked. I have seen various guides which have been left standard but also ones which have had the guide plates cut smaller.

Either way, the guide will have adapted for use in order to retain your current chain line.