mtbr member
    May 2005

Rohloff fraud and speedhub availability

I was thinking of getting a speedhub so visited the Canadian distributer of the product and was directed to this link:

http://www.freeridehubs.com/

I am sure this is only one side of the story and was wondering if anyone had further information on whether Rohloff is a trustworthy company that will continue to provide parts for their speedhubs in the USA and Canada. Has anyone heard about this?

Disgruntled company? Or is there something to this?

Thanks

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Wow, I heard there was some trouble with the Flowriders this year, but that it was Immigration related -- something about denial of work permits. That's supposedly why they weren't at Sea Otter last month. How closely are Tyler & the Flowriders associated with that website?

mtbr member
    This story is absolutely true. Dave (who is the owner of the Canadian distributor) has been royally screwed by Rohloff. Like other companies in this crazy industry, they will probably try to go direct to retailers without a distributor. Dave was one of the the flowriders sponsers, not directly related with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    Wow, I heard there was some trouble with the Flowriders this year, but that it was Immigration related -- something about denial of work permits. That's supposedly why they weren't at Sea Otter last month. How closely are Tyler & the Flowriders associated with that website?

On MTBR hiatus :(
    I've often wondered how their setup works, since Rohloff USA seems happy to deal consumer direct, and I know they deal directly with shops around the country (apparantly not always through a distributor network).

With the dollar being so weak against the Euro, I wonder if they're trimming a layer in an attempt to keep from jacking prices too high. Rohloff's volume seems to be low enough that I can see them looking at the distributor as an "unnecessary" layer (pure speculation on my part), yet their US rep is always up to his armpits in invoices and outgoing shipments whenever I drop by his shop.

As to GFWD's original post, I wouldn't worry about parts availability or support -- I don't think Rohloff is going bye-bye. The company recently moved into a real facility, their output rate is increasing, and their US rep admitted to me he can't keep any inventory on his shelf.